Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion tank issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunnysideup

Hi,

I'm new, female and have a phobia about tanks and water :eek: and have just moved into a very old cottage which has a copper immersion tank with a lid which is loose...(I'm terrified of lifting the lid to see inside because of my phobia), but have kind of pushed it to semi-fit the top. The tank has no insulation whatsoever, seems very old...lots of discolouration and only seems hot in the middle of the tank when immersion heater on...top third always cold; bottom third semi warm to cool. Obviously it's very inefficient, but would a jacket be sufficient or should it be totally replaced, and why is there a removable lid? :confused:

The cold water appears to come in directly.

sunny

Sounds like a fortic cylinder to me the top part is a cold water store so will always be cold and the bottom doesnt realy get hot so its all as it should be
yes a jacket will help keep the water hot two jackets will be twice as good THE MORE STUFF YOU PACK ROUND IT WILL HELP

Is it a cylinder with a tank on top ? A Fortic ? If you lift the lid you should find a ball valve. There were loads of these fitted. A jacket will help but not as good as a modern pre lagged cylinder
Doh Steve the plumber beat me LOL

Last edited:
Sounds like a combined header tank&hw cylinder. Cold at top due to the cold water storage, hot in the middle(hot water rises to the top), cold at bottom as this is where it's filled from the cold header tank. I call this an elson tank, the English boys may have a different name for it.

I'd get a heating engineer in to see if any upgrades could be done to improve efficiency but insulation is always a gd idea. It depends how much u wana spend, u wana get a combi in etc. It's all about cost im afraid

Thank you both for your quick replies! :) I can't lift the lid, Toddy, because of my phobia :eek: (mad I know!!), but at least I know now, Steve, that what seemed an odd pattern of heating is normal. It just looks so old and manky and I hope the water in it is OK. It doesn't have a tank on top, it's all one thing.

What would be a rough cost for replacing it?

sunny :)

Thanks Mbear, you've described it exactly too. I am in a very old cottage with no central heating. So the tank is all I have for heating water; would a combi be appropriate?

sunny :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on a few things

• how strong your mains water pressure is
• is there gas in the property
• do you want a complete heating system installed
• finance, it's not cheep to get a complete system fitted sunny

you may find due to water pressure in ur local area that u can't get a combi and may have to get a system boiler installed with a new hw cylinder and the rads etc. I'd say central heating is the way to go though. Electric panel heating etc is well, not very good IMHO

Thanks again, Mbear. The water pressure is not good and there is no gas (only oil, which I'm reluctant to install). I agree totally about the electric panel heating which I have right now; didn't keep the house warm when needed and ate electric! I think I've made a huge mistake moving in here. Still, at least I've learned about Fortic tanks tonight and knowledge is always power! Now all I need to do is overcome my terror of the water tank!

Sunny :)

I've never worked on oil myself, someone else wud have to advise u on that(there's only gas in my area).

Do be afraid of the tank with the water. It's just water and believe it or not it will be clean, it's always replenishing itself from the cold mains whenever u use the water. Therefore it's defo gona be clean, get the idea?

I've never worked on oil myself, someone else wud have to advise u on that(there's only gas in my area).

Do be afraid of the tank with the water. It's just water and believe it or not it will be clean, it's always replenishing itself from the cold mains whenever u use the water. Therefore it's defo gona be clean, get the idea?

I'll try; I hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks again for your support.

Sunny :)

watch out for those lovely big spiders, they love dark, damp hidey holes

There wont be anything in it, I wouldnt worry, As long as it has a lid you are fine. !! Nothinmg to worry about at all

U could consider LPG! no reason why u couldnt run of a couple of 47kg cylinders!
Mightbe worth checking out

What's the problem with installing an oil fired boiler? It's not a big deal, you get plenty of good combination (instant hot water & heating) oil fire boilers. A lot of then are built to live outdoors, so you you have no worries about boiler taking up room in the house etc.

Fortic's are from a bygone era, and frankly if you're phobic about cylinders, then I think it would be money well spent to install a proper C/H system and get rid of it.

Just my opinion.

I think sunny said she doesnt want to use oil and also has low water pressure therefore making a combi a poor choice (unless prepared to start paying for booster tanks) etc

I think sunny said she doesnt want to use oil and also has low water pressure therefore making a combi a poor choice (unless prepared to start paying for booster tanks) etc

Oh right? Well scrap what I just said then.

Phobia of cylinders isn't good though is it? Never heard of anyone being phobic of stored water...I guess she's stuck with her set up.

There are solutions (there are always solutions) but it depends on how deep your pockets are and how bothered you are?

I've helped people in your position, but it's been a lot more than installing a conventional combi/unvented.

Good luck.

Dan

This thread just reminded me of the worse thing I ever found floating in water...
Photo377.jpg

Last edited:
I appreciate all your replies. I realise my phobia is odd; had it ever since childhood and can't explain it, but being on my own now, anything to do with water and tanks, well, it's scary...

Danny, I'm not going to ask what that is!!

prs1, the LPG may well be an option I hadn't considered, thanks :)

All in all, I have had lots of help here to make sense of the tank I have which has been great, so thanks everyone! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion tank issues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hiya, we had a new pressurised hot water cylinder fitted a few weeks ago even though its double the size of our last one we are finding we aren't getting any more hot water. So once the tank is full and the immersion has turned off and i touch the tank only the top half feels warm and the bottom...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My mates recently bought a new old house and has had extensive work done including new bathrooms etc. We've got a few questions about the hot and cold water distribution. The house is supplied by cold water at around 3 bar, so decent enough pressure. The way it's set up at the moment...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock