Search the forum,

Discuss BG subbies in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

peteisfishing

Anyone else on here just been told there is no more work for sub-contractors with BG?

We got told a while back, up in Edinburgh, they got rid of almost all their subbies but they will be on the phone again come the cold weather!

well it seems to be that they have gotten rid of all subbys bar a few companies who are doing the heating installs up here, i guess they couldnt be bothered with the thousands of different payments to different bank accounts or are feeling the pinch

I was a subbie to them for the past year in servicing. All the subbies have been laid off, apart from a very few where there is a backlog. The company did not make much money because of last winter and they have to cut costs, that's what I have been told.

Don't know if/when there will be more work for me there.

I was let go last week after almost a year. I worked away for the last few weeks of my time there but was told the other day that there was no more work. I have been told to keep the laptop etc as I may get a phone call when it gets busy again.

They are dropping the rates to ÂŁ18.50 per appliance serviced, and I was told by someone that are just getting rid to take on again at a lower rate.

everyone should stick together so no one works for less when they take back on, beggers cant be choosers but your getting to the point of you might as well be an employee. it will probably make you rush to fit an extra job or 2 in to make wage up.

its not a supprise, its bussiness.

companies around by me are paying subbies ÂŁ415 for a full heating system. This is after they made direct employees redundant (they used to get ÂŁ500+) This is the situation we face, customers large and small want to pay less and less for the same work. And the government want to create thousands of new apprentices and tradesmen to make the market even harder to make a living in.

its not a supprise, its bussiness.

companies around by me are paying subbies ÂŁ415 for a full heating system. This is after they made direct employees redundant (they used to get ÂŁ500+) This is the situation we face, customers large and small want to pay less and less for the same work. And the government want to create thousands of new apprentices and tradesmen to make the market even harder to make a living in.

i fully agree, to add to it all training centres and the like are still promoting plumbing as the trade to be in and we all earn fortunes. its false advertising but works. the plumbing industry is being flooded ( no pun intended ) with newly trained, looking to make a new future that for most doesnt exist. its driving our prices down as they quote low to get foot in the door. also with the fact any tom , dick or harry can purchase a boiler as cheap as anybody in the trade, meaning now your quoting for a daily rate and its now," how much for cash mate" cheek!

A few of the lads I know have been service only with them in recent months and have now been bumped. Heard their 500,000 backlog of services has now been cut to less than 100,000 so after digging them out of the hole the contractors have been dropped like a stone.
But as we all know as soon as the dirt hits the fan and they cannot cope with the workload they will be screaming for all the lads to come back. Pity there was not a UK wide contractors union and we could all sit back and agree terms and conditions before going back to them.:)

A few of the lads I know have been service only with them in recent months and have now been bumped. Heard their 500,000 backlog of services has now been cut to less than 100,000 so after digging them out of the hole the contractors have been dropped like a stone.
But as we all know as soon as the dirt hits the fan and they cannot cope with the workload they will be screaming for all the lads to come back. Pity there was not a UK wide contractors union and we could all sit back and agree terms and conditions before going back to them.:)

They'll be back to the same larg back log soon enough. To be fair to them they did look after me when I was there and moved me around when the work dried up in the areas I was working but in the end the work just wasn't there (so they say).

I reckon most of the subbies they let go will be back there as soon as the cold weather is here again, which isn't very far away.

A contractors union would be good, but as we all know even if BG dropped the price to 10 quid a boiler some stupid sod would take it.

When your 6 k in debt from your fast track gas course you have to take anything

I hear what your saying Steve, and thats why these tarining centres need to be put to task on what they are doing. But also I think anyone who trains in a job, in this current job climate, must be mad to do so without having a job lined up.

Still you'd have to be pretty desperate to work for some of the prices that I have seen advertised. I was shocked when I saw some prices when looking after being given the chop at BG, luckily I have found work again and its the same as what BG where paying.

When people work at silly rates it just devalues our industry in my opionion, something needs to be done but nothing will unfortunately

Has anyone also thought that BG bought PH Jones a few months back.

Have they not kept all or some of there engineers?

Has anyone also thought that BG bought PH Jones a few months back.

Have they not kept all or some of there engineers?

They have kept the majority of them, but PH jones look after council properties mainly so they would not use them to work in BG homes I would have thought. Plus PH jones is based round by me and they are not trading as BG, it just says "part of BG" on their website/vans etc.

It always amuses me why subbies think bg will be loyal or honourable to them. Subbies are cheap labour to be abused. There's plenty of mugs in the queue.

Stop moaning and find your own customers ffs!

It always amuses me why subbies think bg will be loyal or honourable to them. Subbies are cheap labour to be abused. There's plenty of mugs in the queue.

Stop moaning and find your own customers ffs!

Who said on this thread that they expected Bg to be loyal to them. I do have my own work, BG was just a nice guaranteed amount coming in each week which enabled me to take my time on other jobs whilst still learning new things on my own job and jobs where mates needed a hand.

You want to get you head out your backside if you think its easy to just find your own work, I know alot of people who solely relyed on the money from BG and where shocked when they where gotten rid of, and rightly so, some of them had been there years. Luckily I have found another contract to work on until work picks up when the cold weather hits but many have not and needed BG.

And to call people mugs shows a complete lack of respect to you collegues in the trade, you want to sort your act out mouthing off like that

Arnt mears part of bg as well now???

I don't think so but i'm not 100% sure. My mate works for them so I'll ask him and let you know, I have not heard anything about them being bought out and they are pretty big round my way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to BG subbies in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days it's increased whilst cold...is this a regular problem.
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock