Search the forum,

Discuss Baffling radiator problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dazzaangel

Hi

Hope someone can help. The radiator in my ensuite only gets slightly warm while all others are roasting hot. I have tried turning of all the radiators but this didn't improve the heat, if anything the radiator is cooler! I have turned them all back on and the offending rad is heating up but still only warm. I have taken off the thermostatic valve to make sure it is not stuck in the down position and it is ok. The pipe entering the rad by the inlet is hot and th pipe coming away from the thermostatic valve is cool. The thermoshield inlet valve is fully open but i have noticed that when it is turned off then on there isn't the gushing noise that the others make when turned on so am wondering is thete a flow problem. It seems strange that the rad doesn't get hotter when the others are off even with lockshield open fully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try bleeding it. With you saying there's a 'gushing sound' I'm suspecting you have a lot of air in the system.

Hi, have tried bleeding but no air comes out, only water. The top of the rad is warm, bottom cooler. We have the dreaded double system of a combi and a gledhill system. Only 7 years old.

The rad has never really gotten hot I am perplexed as to why it doesn't get hotter when tge demand is reduced by turning all others off.

The rad has never really gotten hot I am perplexed as to why it doesn't get hotter when tge demand is reduced by turning all others off.

Could be a dodgy TRV, try isolating and disconnecting the rad and opening each valve in turn into a bowl.
This will blow any air or carp out of the feeds.

Could be a dodgy TRV, try isolating and disconnecting the rad and opening each valve in turn into a bowl.
This will blow any air or carp out of the feeds.

Am a total know nothing about these things, can't see anything on either valve that looks drainable.

Am a total know nothing about these things, can't see anything on either valve that looks drainable.

Perhaps you should get a plumber in to do as I suggested.
Post your location and one of the forum members will most likely be in your area.

Thanks, will have a look later to see if its any different. Will probably get a plumber though.

Sounds like the trv is knackered and the plunger is stuck down restricting the flow

give the side of the valve a slap/tap/rap with a spanner or metalic object to see if the jumper is stuck or if it pops open

is this rad tee'd off another rad?
is it 10mm or 15mm pipe connection to rad?
can you see pipework?

dont matter jase apparently wont work with all other rads shut down!.
its a blockage either pipe or valve imo

or even piped off return from other rad so when other rad is turned off this is getting no heat causing it to go cold when other one is cold!!

Dodgy Trv or maybe incorrectly piped ie 2 flows or 2 returns to rad so no flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Baffling radiator problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to remove some radiators for redecorating and went to try and shut off the valves either side of my rad. I have TRV on one side and on the other side I noticed a blank top with no valve or peg sticking out that allows you to turn on or off (see pictures). I checked the other rads in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a customer with a modern anthracite vertical radiator and a modern TRV and lockshield. The radiator makes a loud metallic bang from within the radiator, when it heats up and cools down. I have opened the lockshield fully, lowered the boiler pressure from 2.5 bar to just over 1...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System was flushed just last year. Both flow and return values are fully open and don't stick. Boiler is serviced each year. Baxi combi boiler about 8 ton9...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock