Search the forum,

Discuss Annoying rumbling noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RickF

Hi, about six months ago a plumber installed a new Albion ultraseel 180 litre cylinder. The information on the commissioning information says I have a primary open vented boiler.
The mains pressure is 3 bar, and a strainer has been fitted. The installler set the water temp. at 60 degrees, i dropped it to 45 as the water was far too hot. My problem is every few days when we first ask for hot water we get a lound rumbling noise from the airing cupboard for just a couple of seconds and then nothing gain for several days! can anyone help, I suspect it may be the sound of boiling water! My plumber is away for a couple of weeks. Help please!! Thanks Rick.

Water temp should be set at 60-65 to kill off Legionella. He set it at that for a very good reason.

Hi. If you have a thermometer kicking about? Check the temp of vessel against that of thermostat as it may well be fault thermostat. Good Luck

Hi. If you have a thermometer kicking about? Check the temp of vessel against that of thermostat as it may well be fault thermostat. Good Luck
Having called the manuafactuer of the cylinder they have asked me to check Water Temp. with a thermometer for a week. I run the water in the sink for a few minuites then take the temp. it has been between 39 and 43 for the last four days, had no noise for two days then once again Sat and twice today!Could it be the water is so hot the pipe vibrates, the pipes are well clipped apart from one thats a little loose? I dont understand why it only happens for 3 seconds and then not again for long periods of time!

The noise has noting to do with the water temp. Possibly a loose jumper on a valve or a bit water hammer.
If your water temp at the taps is between 39 and 43 it is far too low. You need to set the tank stat back to 60 for reasons previously mentioned.
If you want the water cooler at the taps fit a thermostatic mixing valve.
One (or more) of these
Honeywell TM200VP 22mm Thermostatic Mixing Valve: Heating Controls Online
There are other makes

Hi, my plumber is back now and seems to think the Theromostat is working correctly. He has checked the pipework that is visible and did clip the one pipe that seemed a little loose. This seemed to do the trick but after being away for four days the noise returned when switching off the bath hot water tap, but for the last two days nothing again. His next course of action is to take up the floor boards on the landing leading to the cylinder and check they are clipped which I am pretty sure they are not, if that dosent work he is going to try a pressure reducing valve. It make sense to me but intersted in any opinions! Thanks.

Hi, I thought I should post the outcome of my problem as I think its now resolved.
The Expansion vessel I am told was faulty and has been replaced under guarantee. It also seems we had nearly four bar of pressure at the mains when a PRV was in place supposedly maintaining it to three bar, this has also be replaced. The result, since the work was done last Thursday no more noise!! Thanks for the help/advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Annoying rumbling noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock