Search the forum,

Discuss strip out a open vented system ( Help ) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tiny tim

Please could someone offer some advise as to the basics of stripping out an open vented DHW and heating system.
Being new to the gas and plumbing job advise is always well recieved.
Can anyone recomend a good site or video pictures etc that explains the procedure of isolation removal and joining of pipes etc. (pump removal new feeds etc)

Many thanks Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the operation of an open vented system not best practice in isolating stripping etc.

personally i would ask for help from a local experienced engineer, that way you wont be making a claim on your insurance when it goes wrong. Not wanting to stop you from taking on work but you really need to consider what you are confident in doing and what you may need a hand with untill you have enough experience.
You want your customers to recommend you for further work so be sure you know what you are taking on.

Thanks
Should have said i have an experienced guy come in on the first day to help but i ask the questions above for my own satisfaction and the more knowlege in advance the better.

Trawled the net to find a video pics text etc cant find anything ?

Last edited by a moderator:
good to know, honestly tho you could look at all the drawings and videos you wanted to, the only real way of learning these things is by experience. Experience by doing and watching with an experienced engineer.

was it as system conversion? from open vented to sealed?

good to know, honestly tho you could look at all the drawings and videos you wanted to, the only real way of learning these things is by experience. Experience by doing and watching with an experienced engineer.

was it as system conversion? from open vented to sealed?

Yes system with fire and Baxi BB to combi

Buy central heating fault finding & repair by John Reginald..... Your welcome lol

Only the operation of an open vented system not best practice in isolating stripping etc.

If you know how it operates then you shouldn't have too much of a problem, just take care identifying which pipe does what. I've got one to do this week and after donkeys years i still mark up the pipes IE; Hot or Cold, Heating or DHW, Flow or return etc. Helps avoid any screw-ups especially if things aint going your way and sometimes they wont. As said though an experienced engineer will be a massive help. Good luck.

well from a central heating point of view its quite straight forward...... drain system and disconnect primary F+R and connect combi to heating F+R at the approiate place (normally a/c) paying attention to where the heating return commons into the primary return (normally near a/c) as regards wiring unless you have good experience get a sparks to dissconnect old system and wire in new system, tho the use of remote programers/stats can eliminate many issues with wiring.

you will of course need to isolate the cold supply to both tanks and remove any dead legs. if you are struggling to drain down due to no D.O.C's or blocked D.O.C's then is a good idea to have a wet and dry vac ready to cope with any spills.

Last edited:
good point Ian, it always helps to remember what pipe is what after you have cut the cylinder out! :)

.....and especially when doing a boiler swap and the old one is on grav H/W and the new S plan set-up HAS to go next to the boiler. So easy to get crossed up if you dont mark them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to strip out a open vented system ( Help ) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, We have an open vented heating system and a Worcester Bosch greenstar boiler. Recently there is little to no heat getting to all radiatiors. It seems that when we turn on the nest heating the boiler starts whirring as expected as then dies down quite fast. I cleaned the magna filter...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem could be. We have a biomass boiler and stratification tank set up and recently had an issue with boiler pressure dropping off when the system was cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock