Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking external stopcock - South Staffs responsibility? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alex7783

Hi there, i'm new to the forum but am hoping somebody could provide some advice on the following problem

Have recently purchased an end terrace cottage with a shared water supply. Last night we got back from work to find that we had no water. south staffs eventually agreed to come out and investigate, origionally refused claiming that the problem couldn't be theirs as it was a shared supply. The engineer found that tbe valve, supposed to have a meter attached, was sticking - problem solved! However since then we have had very low water pressure.

During his investigation he found an old external stopcock about, 3 ft within the boundary, and turned on and off to test. This stopcock is now leaking, which would explain the drop in pressure.

Is this stopcock the responsibility of the homeowners?

I suspect that it is an early mains stopcock that has now been superseeded by a new mains stopcock in the pavement. Each property also has an individual internal stopcock.

I understand that the responsibility for the water supply lies with South Staffs up to the stopcock. Would the installation of a new stopcock within the pavement have transferred responsibility for the origional over to us? Or should South Staffs still repair, even though it lies within the boundary?

Many thanks in advance

Alex

I know that our (and at least one other) water authorities will excavate to a leak and repair one leak free of charge within the home owners grounds (I think one every 3 years). They wont reinstate driveways etc but will backfill and compact. If not I would argue that they played with it, it was an old redundant tap and they damaged it. If they all work to the same code of practice I would have thought that they would repair anyway. Look at their website. The two I looked at (I thought I had a leak) gave that information as confirmed by my authority..

Looked at your authority website. They offer a one off free repair or a £300 contribution to replacing the full supply pipe within your boundary.

Anything within your boundary is your responsibility. if the water company tamper with fittings within your property boundary and caused damage, then I think you have some recourse against them. Reason being, they have tampered with the fitting which is outside of their responsibility You can't have your cake and eat it, comes to mind.

I would go with your approach Reg Man.
Speak to them nicely though Alex. You will catch more flies with honey ...... ;).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking external stopcock - South Staffs responsibility? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock