Search the forum,

Discuss hot 22mm pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyparty92

Had our opened vented hot water cylinder swapped for a combi boiler. The DHW pipe from the boiler is in 22mm all the way to its final draw off which is the bath. since the swap the flow at the bath hot water tap is poor. I thought it would be much better flow as the hot is now running off the mains. Thanks in advance for any anwsers.

Don't forget a combi has to heat the water as it passes through the heat exchanger, if it flows through too fast the water won't have enough time in the heat exchanger to capture enough heat.

With your old cylinder you had a mass of hot water that can flow as fast as the tap will let it.

The original flow was gravity and the pressure would be 0.1 bar per metre height from the water level in the loft tank down to the tap, at a temp of 60 degrees, the flow is now mains and determined by what is coming in, added to that is the flow restriction required to maintain a decent temp rise, some combis deliver 10-13 litres/min at a temp rise of 35 degrees so its easy to see where people aren't happy with the result, a point which should be fully discussed by the installer before the job is done

Check the specified flow rate of the combi (in it's manual) and then check at the tap that it is somewhere around this

so its pretty much the heat ex in the combi and the oversized 22mm pipe thats causing the flow to be poor?

Its normally a 35 degree rise i.e if cold water is at 12 degrees boiler will heat that water to 47 degrees if the flow rate and gas rate are correct

You'll never get a good flow at a bath tap with a 24Kw combi. Only really suitable if you are showering.

No, there may be a flow restrictor in the inlet, depending on the boiler, but the heat input is insufficient to give a decent flow rate. 24 Kw will give about 9 l/min at a 35°C temp rise. The old gravity system would give a much higher flow rate at a temp of 60.

There must be a flow restrictor then. It's a woster 24 I junior. I understand what you are saying but if there wasn't a flow restrictor then I could get good flow but it would be cold lol. Would downsizing from 22 to 15 help?

The Worcester has a flow restrictor in. Reducing the pipe size won't help the flow rate but will mean the dribble of water will get hot quicker as you've got less cold water to push out first.

you coukd try one of those combi saves things not used one myself others may advise - it restricts the flow until the boiler temp is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to hot 22mm pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I recently had an eco tec plus 836 combi installed as part of an oil to gas conversion. One thing I can’t work out is why the bathroom sink hot water flow is 12-13L per minute with at 44c and even hotter. However the nearby bath freestanding tap is 8-9L per minute at this temp. Both taps...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock