Search the forum,

Discuss Tightness Test Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Scenario:

Service/Cp12.

Tightness test, E6 meter with boiler and cooker.
1 mb drop found over 2 mins no smell of gas.
Acceptable drop.
Disconnected cooker, re-tested.
2 mins no drop.
Would you turn cooker off?
Or re-connect and just record the drop on the CP12 in the TT section.

re connect and note on cp its in limits

I thought that if you found an acceptable drop on tightness test an no smell then just noted down,unless advised to investigate from customer.Once you’ve gone to isolating/disconnecting appliances you’ve then got to cap the supply an make sure no drop? I’d cap off supply to cooker personally an leave it up to them now you’ve proved it’s the cooker

Last edited:
Now you have found the leak you need to cap the cooker, you know its leaking gas so its ID. There was no requirement to trace the leak as it was in the permissible drop and no smell of gas.

Now you have found the leak you need to cap the cooker, you know its leaking gas so its ID. There was no requirement to trace the leak as it was in the permissible drop and no smell of gas.
That’s exactly what I thought. Because I had disconnected and found it to be dropping on the cooker. The permissible drop is alliances connected.

only the same as cus removing it and cleaning behind

Scenario:

Service/Cp12.

Tightness test, E6 meter with boiler and cooker.
1 mb drop found over 2 mins no smell of gas.
Acceptable drop.
Disconnected cooker, re-tested.
2 mins no drop.
Would you turn cooker off?
Or re-connect and just record the drop on the CP12 in the TT section.

Why on earth did you bother. You can normally leave 8mb on an E6. Note the reading, move on. Don't give your punters unnecessary grief and urgent expense.

Frankly, if I had hired you, it would be the last time. And I would be asking questions.

only the same as cus removing it and cleaning behind

Not at all. A customer removing a cooker via the bayonet and reconnecting totally oblivious to the fact that it is passing gas is one scenario. A trained professional with a duty of care to the safety of his customer knowingly leaving a leak/dangerous appliance connected to the supply and not following the unsafe procedures act is another.

It was my understanding that a TT is not a legal requirement when doing a CP12, provision is made on the cert but its not a requirement but we all do it !

It was my understanding that a TT is not a legal requirement when doing a CP12, provision is made on the cert but its not a requirement but we all do it !
Out of curiosity, what did you do?
Bea
Out of curiosity, what did you do?
Bear in mind this post was only a scenario of correct procedures to adopt should this happen.
I would be curious as where the drop was and if found to be on cooker, because you have confirmed leak was on cooker you’d over ride the permissible drop and have to act accordingly.

It sounded like we were discussing something you'd done!

Are you telling me/us that this was some made up exercise ?
I’m always thinking of things that you could come across. The what ifs.
Tbh the way I see it is if I had an acceptable drop of say 2mb with no smell of gas and a cooker was installed I’d be curious as to where it was. It takes seconds to disconnect a cooker from a bayonet.
Now, if I still had the drop after disconnecting i may or may not choose to isolate the boiler and re-test.
Now....if the drop was still there that would leave the meter or pipework.
I understand you can’t have any drop on the pipework so if after isolating the meter the drop was on pipework you’d have to trace and repair.
The original scenario was if a drop was found on the cooker.
Cookers could form leaks all over at worn taps etc and this is accepted which is one of the reasons you are allowed the permissible drop. (As I understand it).
So.. this is the reason for the original scenario.
Would it still be acceptable to re-fit cooker knowing there was a permissible drop OR now you’ve identified it should you isolate.
Totally understand the “why are you isolating with.a permissible drop” posts but like I said this is just a “scenario”.
Hope that makes more sense?

Hope that makes more sense?

I don't suppose it does any harm to 'think'

Domestic tightness tests are simplified and generalised methods that are intended to be foolproof.

There is always the possibility that a leak which is classed as 'within tolerance' is actually dangerous.

Even so, 1 or 2 Mb drop on a typical domestic installation running on an E6 is well within the permitted leak rate and is highly unlikely to cause an issue.

The post quoted below suggests that you DID actually do the scenario.

Whatever, once you find there is a carcass leak you cannot ignore it. Do don't do it. IMO

The post quoted below suggests that you DID actually do the scenario.

Whatever, once you find there is a carcass leak you cannot ignore it. Do don't do it. IMO
Carcass leak yes. Scenario is if leak is found on cooker not carcass. Can you re-connect cooker and record it, that is the scenario. And no this wasn’t anything I had done.

You really are confusing us.

So you DID find that there is an escape on the carcass, by removing the cooker?
What did you do.?

If the leak is on the cooker,then, yes you can reconnect. But, as I said, I would never have disconnected it to to test, as if the leak WAS on the carcass, then you have to leave off, with permission.

So there never is a win in disconnecting

You really are confusing us.

So you DID find that there is an escape on the carcass, by removing the cooker?
What did you do.?

If the leak is on the cooker,then, yes you can reconnect. But, as I said, I would never have disconnected it to to test, as if the leak WAS on the carcass, then you have to leave off, with permission.

So there never is a win in disconnecting
Nevermind

Stratplus: I note you have disliked everyone of my posts.:)

You have demonstrated your lack of knowledge, and that is fair enough - a forum is there to engage and help.It is better to ask than get it wrong.
But you are ducking and diving, and your untruths are confusing yourself as well as me.

I don't know how I will get through the day with all the worry about the thumbs down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tightness Test Query in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

New LPG installation with 2x 19kg cylinders outside, plus change-over regulator with isolator valve on output, then 10 metres of 15mm copper pipe (3 soldered joints only) running into house to the kitchen, to gas hob (with another isolator just prior to hob). System Failing tightness test...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am a homeowner but caught between a rock & a hard place. I am trying to get a Vaillant ecoTEC 630 plus serviced but the gas safe engineer & Vaillant engineer say one thing, whilst the SGN engineer says another. I do not know how to proceed and would value some informed advice. The rock...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Would welcome your thoughts on this. I'm installing a low level shower tray, over a timber floor. Cast iron soil stack only about a metre away. So far so good. The problem is that the existing 1 1/2 copper connection into the stack (previously serving bath) enters the stack at a low...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Hi, my 2-handle kitchen mixer tap started dripping cold water. I've got it apart and am waiting for a new cold water, ceramic disc, 1/4 turn, cartridge to be delivered. Meanwhile I can't completely turn off the isolating (or service) valve, whose screwdriver slot is now knackered. So, with tap...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock