Search the forum,

Discuss Shower Mixer not pulling hot water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

We have a standard bar mixer for the shower, recently installed (6 months)
Due to having a gravity fed hot water cylinder in a bungalow we have a hot water pump which works well, however...
The shower really struggles to pull hot water and get the pump to kick in.
The cold water pressure is very good and the plumbers had to reduce that to balance the system.
We have to adjust the mixer temp to nearly max to get the hot water through to the shower and then adjusting afterwards is barely possible without the hot cutting out.
as a side the hot works fine in all other taps.
Any thoughts really welcome as to how this could be fixed or what might be causing this.

wrong type of shower pump installed bet its a positive head pump needs to be a universal/negative pressure one

the bar mixer has too much resistance on low hot water settings eg 30dc so the hot water isnt flowing enough to active the shower pump

Thanks both,
The pump is a monsoon standard....positive I believe. Not being a plumber I don’t fully understand the difference between positive and negative and why one would be used over the other - I assume with my setup, cold water storage feeding the hot water tank at ground level they would have installed what they saw as the best option?
All cold water taps run off the mains - there is no cold water storage for the taps.

you mentioned too much resistance, can this be altered easily. Getting an expert in at the moment isn’t really an option!

would all bar mixers be the same, ie changing it out would or wouldn’t make a difference?

As said above, you need to take the cold shower feed from the storage tank also.
You will also need to pump this so you have equal pressure hot and cold, so possibly a new pump.
Also worth checking storage tank in loft, you will need to have a minimum of 50 gallons and there’s a chance that if you have mains at cold outlets your tank will be 25 gallon.

Reply to Shower Mixer not pulling hot water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone remember the Mira mixer shower that would work down to a really low pressure on a vented hot water system without a shower pump?
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock