Search the forum,

Discuss blender valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi ive got a thermal store combination cylinder that runs on economy 7, customer says they are only getting half a bath of hot water then it runs cold, bottom immersion has just been replaced. My question is can a blender valve cause this fault or would you get no hot at all if the valve was at fault?

Is the blender valve on the hot tap of the bath with just a mixed water feed from the valve to that tap ?

Is it a Gledhill Pulsacoil BP model? If yes, then blending valve will affect the temp.

Or else it could be a dodgy stat in the lower immersion, or a fault on the PCB. If its a Gledhill A class I will know what the problem is there too.

I service and repair thermal stores reguarly and will help where I can.

The BP model is the latest one. The blender valve has a green knob. On a unit I fitted recently, the blender valve needed adjusting. Factory setting is something like 2 turns back from fully closed. I set them a bit hotter than they do in the factory.

Also I have known them to 'stick' and have fixed them simply by rotaing the head a few times and trying again.

Hope this helps...

will the fact they are getting half a bath of hot water at a good temp not rule out temp setting though?

I did think that, and it would be more likely that they would just have tepid hot water or none at all. That is why I mentioned the A Class model...it can still give problems after changing the immersion heaters, and has a common fault with its relays. The problem is the A class doesn't have a blending valve.

The fact that they're getting half a bath of water makes me think that its probably a problem with the lower immersion heater. The booster heater is probably the only one that's working.

Would help if I knew what model it was.

yeah looks like ev points to bottom immersion, im thinkin the replacement may be the wrong size, i'll have to remove it and see. thanks for your help

Found out stats should be set at 80 for this cylinder so turned stat up, also the amount of hw they was getting was very hot checked the blender an it was open full so turned it down a bit. Hoping this cures it

Last edited:
Yeah, they're funny things thermal stores. The stored water is the primary water and not what the user actually uses for DHW.

They heat the incoming main via a flat heat exchanger on some models and on the BP model (with a blending valve) it uses a coil, but in reverse if that makes sense!?

The stats that they provide don't have a thermal cut out, though I have fitted standard stats in their place and just turned them right up, only ever had one get too hot and cut out. With that one I fitted a proper factory set rod stat...cost me £50. For a rod stat! Criminal.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to blender valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock