Search the forum,

Discuss Work Experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stgiles

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some guidance. I am currently studying for my 6129 Level 2 Tech cert and still have some weeks to go yet. I am really enjoying it and have high hopes of getting myself in with a qualified plumber to get some invaluable experience plus i also need to be in a work environment to gain my nvq level 2. If all goes well i would like to progress onto doing Level 3, again i would need to be working alongside a corgi registered plumber to be able to complete my portfolio.
I understand that this will probably not be paid work but i would rather do it this way than go straight into self employment with little real life experience. I,m 36 and eager to make plumbing my new career path but know it will be tough at the start finance wise. Has anyone any advice on how to make myself available and find some experience.:)

its a long hard slog and will involve writing and phoning all the gas engineers in your locality but dont expect too much as showing you what to do slows them down and costs them money also you will end up being a competitor for work..if you have any familly friends try them first even unpaid its a struggle to get someone to spare the time...there has been so much hype about the rewards that few people have questioned where all the work is going to come from for all the newly qualified people

Hi Stgiles,
Newbie is right about being a hard slog at the moment. I have found it difficult even getting free work experience since qualifying 6129 in May. Although don't let it put you off as if you find a plumber you can get a long with/vice versa you will have fun and will learn a great deal if you keep badgering with lot's of relevant questions. Just make sure you really put yourself out for them in return and get stuck in as much as possible on the basic jobs that require two hands. Basically make yourself indespensible and you will actually learn a great deal in a very short space of time. Then you can start earning money on the basic jobs which I found keeps up the motivation as well as helping with the bank balance.

I am

Hi Guys

Any advice etc please send it my way as I am in exactly the same predictament.

same problem for me, no one wants to really give the new guys a chance. Kepp gonig though :) things should all fall in to place

Im in the same shoes mate, its so hard, i spend hours on the net a get more and more depressed :( goodluck to all who are trying

Im in the same shoes mate, its so hard, i spend hours on the net a get more and more depressed :( goodluck to all who are trying

you tried gonig to a local plumbing merchant and put a leaflet up,

I did. i am also walking to the house's of the plumbers, i think it makes them feel i want it more.

Last edited by a moderator:
why dont you all indicate where you live? update your profiles and someone on the forum might help out!

My location is under my name. OP

Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, Hucknall.

Eithers good for me.

i live in enfield. thanks for the advice guys

definately gonna go to a plumbers merchant and put something up, thank you mate :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

I too am in the same position, got my 6129 lvl2 and water regs last august and have been trying to find some work experience since. I live in Stratford - Upon - Avon.

I've been to all the local plumbing merchants and put up adverts for plumber's mate and also ads asking if anyone is looking for trainees, i spend a bit of time talking to the merchants and getting to know them.

Plumbing is something I really want to get in to, it's not easy but I shall persevere, as I'm sure we all will.

Good luck to everyone looking.

My location is under my name. OP

I saw yours later, I was referringvto the other 2.

When you find some work or experience offered, for god's sake dont do what my works experience muppet did to me today, be at mine at 0830 (i dont even do early starts) he was told last week and hay presto, no show (he had an exam at college, but hadnt told me or his coordinator) great for his first day, in his first job he's been offered in 11/2 years at college.
His mate last week had recced his route to my place, timed it to walk down and been 5 minutes early, with lunch, coffee, gloves, boots and smartly dressed in nice clean shirt and padded trousers. I'll be having him back, and he was keen to learn and work.:D:D:D

I wont be like your guy, I know that.
Its justing finding sone-one :)

Good Luck me lol

Very IMPORTANT to keep COSTS DOWN i.e buy what you need when you need it, dont use credit and such like.
Best thing to do is get a small to medium sized van (VW Transporter T4, Vauxhall combo etc.), pay for some selective advertising and have a selection of basic plumbing tools (pipe slices, wrenches, etc.).
Visit every enquiry you get and take on jobs you know you're capable of but remember every now and then to challenge yourself.
In time your confidence grows and you learn to sell yourself to your customer.
If you feel something is wrong when you go to quote, trust your gut instinct.
Get business current account
Create business cards. Make yourself, don't pay
Gas will come later once you get used to plumbing in W.C.s, fixing leaks, installing radiators and wiring mid pos. valves. Chill out and ENJOY your work and customers.

I am based in the North West in Mold by Chester/Wrexham so have got easy access to North Wales, Cheshire, Flintshire, Wirral etc in fact willing to do anything I can to push me in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Work Experience in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my Level 2 Diploma in Plumbing in August this year, and have already signed on to the Level 2 NVQ as well as my Unvented and Water Regs certs, to start after...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I’m hoping I find some luck here, I have currently finished my MLP gas course and soon to go in for my ACS exam for my CCN1 in a few months. I also hold my city and guilds in plumbing level 2, vented and unvented certs. I am currently looking for a few days of work experience where by I...
Replies
Views
Hello, I’m 31 years old hard working and always try to produce quality work. I’ve just finished my level 2 diploma in Plumbing at Leeds college for building. I want to sign up to the NVQ L2 course but need a plumber to work with. I have my own Van and some tools. If there is anyone in the Leeds...
Replies
Views
Hello My name is David, I'm 33 and looking for the opportunity to work for a plumber/gas engineer in South Hampshire. I'm based just outside Portsmouth but I do drive. I have completed my level 2 and NVQ and have 3 years work experience on new builds. I was employed and doing my gas course but...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am currently at college studying for my NVQ level 2 in plumbing and then after this completing further study and assessments in domestic renewable energy. I was wondering if any plumbers could provide the opportunity for me to help out on Saturdays in order to gain some invaluable...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock