Search the forum,

Discuss gas safe still got no bite / people are stupid :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunCorbs

Super Moderator
Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
[video=youtube;Uiz4RU3TP-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uiz4RU3TP-0&itct=CBMQpDAYAyITCMmRv_DF28wCFQetFgoddg0L9TIHcmV sYXRlZEjl-rSM6tW4hMMB&app=desktop[/video]

[video=youtube;QNw75cPQulk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNw75cPQulk[/video]

[video=youtube;LcKHOOIoX8s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcKHOOIoX8s[/video]

keep changing parts until you fix it :D

I hate these Shaun they shouldn't be allowed to put videos like this on the Internet

They never have had any teeth, even when they were Corgi. Some of the shyte you see is unbelievable. But you know it's a waste of time reporting it. It really gets tiresome.

I have had two of them in the past month where people have self diagnosed ordered the parts and then asked me to fit it. And what a surprise they were wrong

You start to feel that nothing will change as there is just a general don't care attitude with a lot of the Gas Safe employees. I have to say not all but more and more you have people reading from a script that do not understand the topic

he started taking advice from the comments :D

my view (gas safe) they either go whole hog cant by anything regarding gas either spares or appliances or they get rid of gas safe and the rules and anybody can touch gas because were half there atm

we spend x amount every 5 years (1200 normally about) and how many rouges/ non gas safe (good ones that slip though) are there doing the work

The problem with that is there is generally no deterrent to doing gas work illegally The possible threat of getting a fine is counterbalanced by however many installs they got away with doing before they've been caught

The problem with that is there is generally no deterrent to doing gas work illegally The possible threat of getting a fine is counterbalanced by however many installs they got away with doing before they've been caught

one way chop a hand off as there putting other peoples lives in there hands

Oh don't get me wrong mate I totally agree. Problem is it's essentially become too big a problem now for them to fix. I have just started coming across a massive spate of appalling installs. All put in by the same group of five foreign lads ( not that their race religion creed or nationality should matter), however they are one of these done before lunchtime set ups literally throw the boiler on the wall, piping done in plastic, Basic install details ignored such as sealing around the flue. And of course the benchmark is ignored. A mate of mine got so hacked off with them stealing work in his area that he confronted them as obviously none of them are Gas Safe they just laughed at him and said report us if you like. Apparently they had been reported on at least three other occasions and nothing at all happened they seem to think because they can do these things at home that it doesn't matter here and sadly Gas Safe are just reinforcing this view if they don't tackle it

agree but bet you if one of us step out of line (gas safe reg) the difference/ punishment would be worse as they see us a competent but they see the illegal lot as dont know any better

is it worth it any more

I know exactly what you mean mate. I do quite a lot of work for very responsible people who always ask for credentials. So I need to renew or I'll lose a lot of work. I think half the battle is I thinked I think half the battle is education I had to explain to a bloke in a letting agent that a gas safety and boiler service were two very different things the other day. This prat had been telling all of his landlords that they were getting a boiler service every year

I know exactly what you mean mate. I do quite a lot of work for very responsible people who always ask for credentials. So I need to renew or I'll lose a lot of work. I think half the battle is I thinked I think half the battle is education I had to explain to a bloke in a letting agent that a gas safety and boiler service were two very different things the other day. This prat had been telling all of his landlords that they were getting a boiler service every year

spot on iv been asked 3 times for my gas safe card (without prompt) and unless your bg then they are two different things :D

But this is half the battle. Another letting agent that I do a lot of stuff for who are extremely good were trying to be a little bit proactive regarding carbon monoxide alarms and the poor property manager found three different versions of the rules all telling him something different and two of these were via renowned landlord/letting agent advisors.

I agree mate. If my memory serves me correctly I think someone on here did it a couple of years ago we always get that same response though that people i.e. the public think we are trying to close ranks and make it a closed shop in terms of earnings. What I do like about this site is there are a lot of people on here Who are actually very passionate about gas safety but you guarantee if you went 10 minutes down the road where any of us lived youd find somebody who was stealing our work

I agree mate. If my memory serves me correctly I think someone on here did it a couple of years ago we always get that same response though that people i.e. the public think we are trying to close ranks and make it a closed shop in terms of earnings. What I do like about this site is there are a lot of people on here Who are actually very passionate about gas safety but you guarantee if you went 10 minutes down the road where any of us lived youd find somebody who was stealing our work
ideal scenario...60% of gsr protest about sale of gas products to public, insurance companies not making it mandatory to have gs cert every 12 months to validate insurance premiums etc. they will have to respond as the core members would make the whole set up of gas safe worthless!!

The whole sale to the public thing is so difficult though as Ray has pointed out on numerous occasions when you start selling to big companies or to housing associations that sort of thing immediately the people that are buying it are not going to be Gas Safe. The other suggestion was that your gas safe card has a microchip which you need in order to commission appliances. Problem with that is the technology is going to cost us the gas safe engineer a fortune no doubt

so then, the legal aspect of it is a farce!

if just anyone can buy spares then you cant be held accountable to fitting them as it was sold to repair!!!!!!!
same as smoking, if you can buy them over 18yrs but you die..tough luck!

like to see that one in the high court.

Regarding your points about insurance and things like that I would love to see this enforced it just leaves the door open to abuse to those who are not informed. I have lost track of the amount of people that have contacted me in the last couple of months as they are selling their property and the buyer wants some sort of gas documentation it's one of those bolting the stable door after the horse has gone type scenarios One woman expected me to give her a full service history for a boiler that had been in 15 years and had never seen an engineer. Said I'd do a llgs and that's it then she argued about everything I picked up

so then, the legal aspect of it is a farce!

if just anyone can buy spares then you cant be held accountable to fitting them as it was sold to repair!!!!!!!
same as smoking, if you can buy them over 18yrs but you die..tough luck!

like to see that one in the high court.
I know, as I said mate it almost needs a new organisation to come in a bit heavy handed as gas safe seem to have become a bit of a soft touch

I know, as I said mate it almost needs a new organisation to come in a bit heavy handed as gas safe seem to have become a bit of a soft touch

dont think they ever swung the hammer to be honest they have always been a feather

The whole sale to the public thing is so difficult though as Ray has pointed out on numerous occasions when you start selling to big companies or to housing associations that sort of thing immediately the people that are buying it are not going to be Gas Safe.

my view tough poo there the biggest dodgers of the lot, might be able to get a fair wage at the end of it

think the county needs to go cold turkey regarding the lot nothing sold or bought without a gas safe card no matter what

Agreed mate but we need an organisation strong enough to enforce it. As with so many of these things money is the root of all evil and those bigger companies that stamp their feet get their own way

Agreed mate but we need an organisation strong enough to enforce it. As with so many of these things money is the root of all evil and those bigger companies that stamp their feet get their own way

thats what i was getting at
60% vote of no confidence!!!!!!!!

Don't even know where to begin with complaining about it

The hole gas safe/corgi is just a money pot if you ask me, you can make more money doing illegal installs and paying the small fine then doing it legitimately

The hole gas safe/corgi is just a money pot if you ask me, you can make more money doing illegal installs and paying the small fine then doing it legitimately

That maybe true but I could not sleep at night if I did that

With GS being owned/ran by Capita and the government seemingly in Capita's pocket I can't really see anything changing.

It'll take something like the MP's daughter dying in a house fire started by an electrical fault that hugely accelerated the part P mess before anyone takes us seriously.

But based on the news and HSE reports there are near misses and the occasional death more often than I think they'd like to admit. Funny how we never hear the follow up to it. Makes you wonder if it's just brushed under the carpet almost as if the don't want to or can't deal with it

It's going to have to happen to someone that the government care about for it to change though. They don't give a monkeys about us plebs.

It's going to have to happen to someone that the government care about for it to change though. They don't give a monkeys about us plebs.

True enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe still got no bite / people are stupid :( in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock