Search the forum,

Discuss Covering gas engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Account

Hello all as I mentioned in previous threads I am not gas safe reg yet but attending too be one soon.

whats the rule like about working with a gas safe reg person am I covered when I work for him ? Am I allowed doing gas jobs like boiler break downs even though he isn't next to me ?

Or or does he has to be right next to me ?

I assuming I am not allowed to touch anything like gas stuff neither boiler is that right ?

As I work previously for a long time gas safe reg person he said I could work for him in his name he would cover me but I think that's illegal isn't it ? Why do people tell you such a Bull@&£?

What at could happen to me legally in terms of regulations like getting a ban? Why do ppl like this to earn more money ? In my opinion is very dangerous even though you know about boiler as he wouldn't come and check. What you recommend and think about this case ?

If you are in training with the pre-requisite requirements - the law is clear.

You must be at all times accompanied by a gas safe registered engineer who is overseeing you.

You cannot work unless you are competent and on the register.

Havent you asked this before ???

Legally - you would be putting lives at risk as not have access to the latest updates in legislation and face prison if caught.

And to be frank I think you know the answer.

I have trouble in reconciling what you are saying with a responsible engineer being so flagrant & blaśe towards the rules to put his livelyhood on the line by saying this

Unless you are actually Gas Safe Registered, you are not allowed to work on ANY part of the gas line unless you are under the direct supervision of a Gas Safe Registered engineer. This means that the engineer MUST be with you all the time whilst you are working on the gas supply or boiler etc, and that they must also check your work afterwards.
Should you fail to comply with this you, and the engineer, could end up in prison as a result of contravening the relevant GSIUR

Below is an extract from the GSIUR:

Gas work should only be undertaken:
(a) by a person who has successfully completed an industry-recognised training course followed by assessment of competence. Training that leads to assessment of competence in safe gas work should be recognised by the industry’s standards setting body; or
(b) in the case of a currently or previously registered person, where they have proved competence through a certification scheme; or
(c) for those working at premises that fall outside the scope of the Regulations (see regulation 2(4) and associated guidance), by a person who has successfully completed an appropriate full training course followed by assessment of competence.

The mention of competency refers to the ACS exam, and registration with Gas Safe Register as far as I know.

I do not do anything gas related jobs ... I payed too much money and my family is too important than going to prison or pay fines. I'd rather would like to know what could do to stop this guy from doing this ?

You need to have up to date ACS and he needs to register you under his name for you to do work for him I think.

Probably not a good way to endear yourself to those you are working with so explain to him first, and give him the chance to put it right. If he doesn't then report him to Gas Safe Register and let them sort it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Covering gas engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a gas engineer who I can work with so I can complete my portfolio. I have done level 2 and 3 tech cert along with bpec gas foundation and in order to progress to ACS, I have to finish my portfolio. I also want to learn plumbing along with gas so I can learn more things. I...
Replies
Views
Hi I am looking to gain practical experience with a certified gas engineer. I was in search of an engineer to work with accompanying them to jobs. I would be happy to observe and support where possible. I am now working towards completing and submitting my portfolio. I understand that this...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have dropped out of his van) on my shared drive. My neighbour pointed it out to me since he was parked in her space. I tried to remove it with water and...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex. I am a ltd company thats been running for 12 years and am now looking to expand. Ideally im looking for someone who is self employed (or another ltd...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock