Search the forum,

Discuss Tools for Gas boiler servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am thinking of studying to get on the gas sage resister as I believe with gas safe I will find more work as a plumber/handyman.

However when I come to service boilers for letting agents etc, what specalist tools and gadgets would I need and how much approx will they cost.

I am concerned that after doing all the study and paying for my registration it will be difficult to compete to get jobs, if I do not have the right equipment, as I might not be competitive on price as jobs will take longer.

I was speaking to a British Gas Engineer and he was telling me that British Gas supply them will all the latest equipment which makes job quicker and more competitive

Any help greatly appreciated

thanks

Paul

FGA,manometer,ldf,meggar,comptence in what you are doing.

All tools as listed above. But always buy the best you can afford. cheap tools are a waste of time. I've learnt the hard way. You'll need screwdrivers if all sizes etc plus a good set of grips. I find rothenberger the best they come in three different sizes and I have them all. The small ones are a life saver sometimes and the large ones are a must when changing pump valves.

Having the best tools and equipment won't make you more employable and competitive. Be reliable and good at your job first,then worry about what to spend your money on.

BG aren't competitive,they just have a huge slice of the market,and a lot of that is because they were a nationalised company and people still equate the name with the reputation that used to carry. The big advantage they have is a huge support network and all the spares on tap. That makes being a breakdown engineer a LOT easier.

flue gas analyser (£400-£800)

Leak detection fluid (gas leak spray) £2

get the qualification done ,then get the tools !!!

I'd second (and third) that.

The costs of setting up are significant. Assuming you're going to do a "fast track" course, if the trainers are any good they'll tell you what you should buy, consider buying or avoid. It's so easy to be carried away by the advertising or the merchants.

phillips screwdriver , ball point pen , henry the hoover lol

no seriously you will be needing an FGA "flue gas analyser" for condensing boilers and the ticket and know how to use it. i also find that a set of star bits preferably on a long ratchet , and a good set of allen keys are essential as well as the usual screwdrivers and a set of cleaning brushes.

good luck .

Hi

Many thanks to Wards, Stevetheplumber, Steveb, Blackcatgas, Villa_tom, Princegoose and Bartdude. I guess what I am most worried about is doing all the studying and exams and finding I still have alot of money for fork out for equipment, before I can earn any money.

I am hoping I can use it to complement my plumbing training and enhance my skillset for installation and servicing of boilers etc.

Thanks

Paul

You also require a stirrup pump for pressurising expansion vessles a task which is commonly neglected and often the cause of shortening the life of sealed system boilers

Makita once sold a case of gas fitters tools of various sort of spanner, allen key and the like. But in my experience if you do private work you may have to carry quite a few tools as your range of different make of boiler will probably be big. I would not get the digital manometer unless you can afford to get it calibrated each year or buy a self check tester. You will of course need a fga, same with that. A good multi meter is also a must.

what is a meggar, is it like a duckdoo

Traditionally, the term 'megger' was used to test an electrical wiring circuit for its insulation properties at high voltages. Megger is also a company that manufacture electrical testing equipment. You would only need these if you were also carrying out electrical circuit installation tests.

Generally, a good multi-meter will suffice for most diagnostic work.

Traditionally, the term 'megger' was used to test an electrical wiring circuit for its insulation properties at high voltages. Megger is also a company that manufacture electrical testing equipment. You would only need these if you were also carrying out electrical circuit installation tests.

Generally, a good multi-meter will suffice for most diagnostic work.

was gonna say are we servicing boilers or are we looking to check the whole electrics in a house with a meggar= (like a FGA but instead for gas appliances its a electrical tester for ELECTRICIANS!) just get a decent Multimeter and your sorted something like a Fluke or a Draper.

as above!

A megger is a brand name for a multi function tester. I can only think of one test you would need on it, and that is continuity. It also does RCD trip times, Insulation resistance (checking that cable insulation is adequate and no chance of shorting out), earth loop impedance (testing the path back to earth on circuits) polarity and other bits like frequency, phase rotation for 3 phase supplies etc etc

Definitely not required for an average service engineer. (which you'll like because they are expensive!)

Last edited:
The "Megger" is the brand name of a well known international company that makes a few kinds of meter. But you often see the term "Megger" used to describe a meter, it usually means a meter can measure in millions of Ohms resistance. It is handy to have of course, for measuring things like insulation and appliance resistance. But expensive and not perhaps necessary, also if its an insulation tester they usually test with a 500 volt DC charge, which would fry a boilers pcb probably. You can of course get lower and higher voltage insulation testers.

However we are talking about what engineers usually use and not what old codgers like myself have used in the past for certain things. I hasten to add not sticking it across a boiler circuit. Handy for immersion heaters though.

Once again insulation testers are extremely expensive and you do need to know how to use them properly. The usual price for a cheap one but safe is about £150 or so. The "Megger" insulation tester itself is probably £250 or more brand new. And if you buy one second hand get it checked and calibrated about £40 or so. The thing is unless your a "sparks" you may never get your money back on it. And watch out for cheap Chinese imports. Although being fair many of the well known brands seem to be made there as well.
You never know how well a cheap meters safety features work. Although a lot of testing is done dead circuit, its not always easy to remember whether you have turned the "eleccy" off or not if the isolating switch is miles away or if your a try that guy or gal and switch the "eleccy" on and off each time you make an adjustment to see if "that" works. If the pressure is on you can forget whether you have turned it on or off. Don't forget I am talking real world not college course. In the event you get it wrong you will need all the safety features working properly. Being fair to Chinese imports though I simply do not know how good their meters are, it would be interesting to find out.

Make sure any meter is BS and CE marked. Incidentally CE is not a safety mark, it is just to say the goods can be sold in the EU. Check its safety marks, you can find a list of EU and Brit approvals on the internet.

Fluke make a multi meter for gas service engineers I think they call them HVAC engineers its the 116, but it is expensive, but worth it.

What I have found though, is that it usually only differs from cheaper models by being able to measure micro amps, which are handy for testing flame detection probes. but other than that, you can usually find the same features on cheaper meters. And anyway probably flame detection probes on domestic boiler are usually cheap enough to carry a spare with you to try out.

Please don't get mixed up, over mega Ohms expensive meters may be able to test in mega Ohms but they do not test insulation.

Anyway there is a cheaper Kane meter DM393 C about £80 that does very much the same job as the 116 and I suppose there are a few more makes about as well. But you could probably do a passable fault finding job with a cheap meter. The thing is you have got to know what you are measuring, they are easy to use, its just getting to know what it is telling you that is harder.

Most guys I suppose go by what their experience tells them the fault could be and just change the part they think it is, without electrical testing. But an electrical test for say resistance can confirm your idea that the fan motor has gone. There is nothing worse than buying an expensive part, turning on the juice and you still get "no go" anyway its lazy. How do you recover the money paid out for the part? Some suppliers sell on a none return basis, I know HRP did on their PCB's. You want to be sure its broken before you spend out for a new one. So its worth while doing a bit of study to find out how to use a multi meter properly.

Must admit its often difficult to do so in an occupied house if the boiler is in a tight cupboard full of gear and people running all around you shouting "When will you be finished". We sure need a gas engineers simple to understand multi meter reference book. There you go you computer "Whizz kids" a gap in the market for you, write a test app for a mobile or laptop and Google may buy you out for a few million.

We sure need a gas engineers simple to understand multi meter reference book.
I did the Mr Combi training and he covered mulitmeters. I liked the way he simplified the use of a multi meter and with bit of practice in non stress situations i 'got it' !
My notes i took are dead handy and will be in my van. :rolleyes4:

Last edited:
I did the Mr Combi training and he covered mulitmeters. I liked the way he simplified the use of a multi meter and with bit of practice in non stress situations i 'got it' !
My notes i took are dead handy and will be in my van. :rolleyes4:

Did you find the course useful ted?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t4q1uc

Well considering I hadn't done any boiler fault finding, it was a good base. I liked the way he promoted 'us' as business people-in it to make a good living and not for fun. He must have done something right, he's sorted! I found the information quite good but not having done much in this line... I suppose it's quite a lot to pack into one day without overloading your brain. I found it ok and if you got the money- go do it. It's quite good base i would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tools for Gas boiler servicing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock