Search the forum,

Discuss Starting up on your own in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ritchie

Hi,

I have just turned 30 and after years of rubbish jobs with no prospects I have finally decided to go back to college full time to do c&g level 2 plumbing. So far I am really enjoying the course (although I am the only person over 18 in my class!) Before I even enrolled I was told by everyone I will not be able to get an apprentiship due to my age but I can not understand why a plumber would not want to take me on once I pass my level 2. I honestly think someone my age will not only be more reliable to any employer (as I will not call in sick on a Monday due to drinking heavily over the weekend..been there, done that!!) I do not have the 'can not be bothered' attitude that alot of youngsters have nowadays. I am willing to work hard, put in the hours etc as I am at that age where I should be settling down and obviously want a comfortable life ie earning good money.

Basically I am after some advice. I am thinking of moving onto my level 3 once I have passed level 2. My main goal is to pass level 3 and to then buy a small van and work on my own rather than for a company. Does anyone know if this is possible? Once I have passed level 3 can I then go out and work on my own? Is it better to gain experience with a company before starting on my own or can it be done? I am new to all this so I am obviously a bit naive, so any feedback would be appreciated.

I was also thinking of trying to find a plumber/plumbing company who would be willing to take me on 1 or 2 days a week (non paid) just to gain some experience. Does anyone know of anyone in the London area who would be willing to take me on just to show me the ropes, and to learn on site as I do feel that this would look good on my cv to any future employer.

sorry for the long post btw :0)

Ritchie

Hi,

Basically I am after some advice. I am thinking of moving onto my level 3 once I have passed level 2. My main goal is to pass level 3 and to then buy a small van and work on my own rather than for a company. Does anyone know if this is possible? Once I have passed level 3 can I then go out and work on my own? Is it better to gain experience with a company before starting on my own or can it be done? I am new to all this so I am obviously a bit naive, so any feedback would be appreciated.

I was also thinking of trying to find a plumber/plumbing company who would be willing to take me on 1 or 2 days a week (non paid) just to gain some experience. Does anyone know of anyone in the London area who would be willing to take me on just to show me the ropes, and to learn on site as I do feel that this would look good on my cv to any future employer.

sorry for the long post btw :0)

Ritchie

first of all good on you for giving it a go.

secondly - loads of people doing the same thing so it will be tough, companies are looking for time served lads so you're main option will be to go self employed - there is nothing stopping you doing this when ever you feel ready.

lastly - yeah some plumbers will give you a go for free - there was a post on here recently about insurance and wage problems related to this - not sure of the outcome.

main thing is - your gonne come out of the course with a qualification loads of others looking for work have got - but if youve got the determination then youve got as good a chance as any

good luck mate

ritchie mate im 31 myself very similar situation, hard to find plumbers willing for to work with them for free!!! only because potentially ur the competition thats why they prefer young lads, as they know the young ones are less likely to set up themselves until later on in life. but as for setting up on your own... do it now is my advice. why wait?? just take on the jobs you feel confident with and the ones you know you cant do get a (RELIABLE) pro in. subcontracting!! that way even if you dont earn the wage of the job your still there learning for free. thats what i do and the pros wont refuse you being there with them because your the one who found the job and they are the ones still getting paid... everyones happy. but trust me and get good, honest, clean and reliable ones in because technically is your client and your name at risk!!!

Im a (young) 42 year old female who has passed my C & G Level 2 Domestic Heating....now on Level 3 course.....not an easy thing being a woman in this Mans World and trying to find someone who will take you on for Work Experience, never mind paid work....!! Ive worked hard to get this far, as I am a single parent too with 2 young sons.....but Im determined and like a challenge....so if anyone can offer me any more advice or work,please get in touch....Im in the Lake District.....!!

Im a (young) 42 year old female who has passed my C & G Level 2 Domestic Heating....now on Level 3 course.....not an easy thing being a woman in this Mans World and trying to find someone who will take you on for Work Experience, never mind paid work....!! Ive worked hard to get this far, as I am a single parent too with 2 young sons.....but Im determined and like a challenge....so if anyone can offer me any more advice or work,please get in touch....Im in the Lake District.....!!

Set up on your own offering simple plumbing jobs until your happy and advertize the fact your female and I would expect a good response after all most homeowners dont like hairy, bum cracked plumbers in their homes at the best of times and the female variant would be more welcome, after all they normally keep the place clean. Happy to offer this advice as your far enough away not to compete, lol. However an all female team of property maintainers down this way seem to be doing ok (damit)

Good luck to you, where I am there are too many polish so called plumbers, I get a fair bit of work fixing their cock ups (soil pipe full of brick rbble, leaky joints, loose taps)

There is a web address for trades men, WWW.mybuilder.com

I dont know how good it is though

People ask for a tradesman to do a job, you give a reply

You can give it a try, I hope it works out for you all here

(plumbergirl, this website might really help you)

i hope you do well, all struggle some make it some dont, just keep tryin if its what you really want to do

Hi Richie,

Some people will need almost no real-world jobbing experience before they change taps, fix toilets because they've done it themselves before anyway. Others definetly will. Only take on jobs that you'd be 100% confident about doing in your own home. If that doesn't leave many you'll need experience and it is very tough to find it but contacting hundreds of plumbers is the only real way.

Plumbergirl, are you physically strong?

With no intention of being sexist, it does make me wonder whether this isn't the main reason it's hard to find work as a woman in plumbing. When I've tried to undo backnuts on 20 year old bathtaps with no room I have often wondered how a woman plumber would manage. Literally bursting a blood vessel as I grimace and groan. And I am strong, believe me. Some women obviously are stronger than many men but most women will seem to have to ask the bloke to open the pickle jar.

When I learned on my course there were a couple of really strong "students" (aged around 45) who couldn't remove an immersion heater. Then the 60+ year old 5 feet 8? tutor 32"? waist (ie small and not strong) wandered along, ruffled his chin, and without a hammer (which the others had tried using) just undid this thing!! Cracking tutor - I learned most of my stuff from him - one of the old school.

Technique is better than pure strength (till it comes to moving Agas that is ...!)

It's an interesting - but I suspect unrepresentative - example. There's plenty of technique to learn in plumbing but there's also a lot of plain and simple muscle required. Somethings will just refuse to come undone or be shifted without little short of teeth-gritting brutality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starting up on your own in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock