Search the forum,

Discuss Smelly Toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brewster

I have an old toilet in a downstairs cloakroom and there is a bad smell when the room is left closed up. No smelly bottom jokes please.
It has a swan neck from the back of the pan straight into a soil pipe. I think the gasket that seals the two has perished and allows foul air to escape into the room.
I asked a plumber who said it would be best to replace the toilet.

I have asked at some of my local merchants and no one seems to know where to get a new gasket/seal.

I have attached a photo, can anyone offer any advice or a solution.
Toilet.jpg
Many Thanks

Same here, no need for a new khazi, bit of a clean, new multikwik, different plumber and Bob's yer aunties lover!

Do you have a basin in the same room and there's water in the trap?

it will depend how the pan is fixed if its screwed down your ok if its down with sand and cement then it may be better to denso the joint to rule out smell not pretty but with a coat of white gloss passable

Tried that a few weeks back, pretty impressive once you can get it out the tube. Build centre gave me a tube to try, so don't know if it was meant to be as stiff as it was.

Tec 7 is pretty much the same as all the other 'modified' polymers that are coming out on the market:

Stick like S***
The Worx,
Plumbers Gold,
CT1,
Stixall MS Polymer

They're all the same thing really. Some like Tec7 and the Worx are a bit thicker, and harder to squeeze out. All pretty amazing though and make it possible to repair something with a bit of splodge that would have otherwise been a total pig.

For instance this job, if the WC is cemented to the floor, I would def' try sealing the connection with one of the above first and see how it went.

as above, clean up and seal with some gunk before looking to remove pan as its a smell problem.

Guys what a fantastic response. I really appreciate it. I'll have a go with one of the suggested sealants and let you know.

Tec 7 is pretty much the same as all the other 'modified' polymers that are coming out on the market:

Stick like S***
The Worx,
Plumbers Gold,
CT1,
Stixall MS Polymer

They're all the same thing really. Some like Tec7 and the Worx are a bit thicker, and harder to squeeze out. All pretty amazing though and make it possible to repair something with a bit of splodge that would have otherwise been a total pig.

For instance this job, if the WC is cemented to the floor, I would def' try sealing the connection with one of the above first and see how it went.

Which is the best? I've only used plumbers gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They're all much the same. Tec 7 and Plumbers Gold would probably be my preference....but there's not much in it.

Stickall is classed as an all weather adhesive not a sealant, but its the same product as the others. Also 'Sticks Like S***' (funny name I know) make am all weather sealant and an all weather adhesive under the same name, but the only difference is the colour of the product in the tube.

I always keep a tube of one of the products I listed on board my van. Normall a tube in clear and a tube in white.

Don't use it often but good to have available for problems like this.

I find it helps to clean up the joint with trade wipes, and then rub dry with an old towel. The wipes will cut through any grease, and nothing sticks to greasy surfaces well.

Last edited:
Are you getting a full seal in the trap(how high is the water level in the pan)

Make sure you get the correct size pan connector as some older WCs have different diameter outlets. My personal preference is the McAlpine range as they have a nice strong stiff rubber seal. Lubricate with liquid soap to slide on (not washing up liquid). Fill up the gap between the pan connector and the soil with silicone or other.

The water in the pan seems enough to be an effective seal. I've hit it with screwfix's finest "The Works" so watch this space.
Thanks to all for your comments and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Smelly Toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi! Totally inexperienced DIY newbie so bear with me for descriptions! Pictures hopefully help. I’m trying to remove an unused downstairs toilet in our new house. It’s eventually going to be moved to the other side of the house. The seal around the back of the toilet had failed so I switched...
Replies
Views
We’ve got a bathroom in a 3 year old loft conversion. Pretty much the first time warmer weather rolled around a few months after it was done, I started to notice a bad smell in there – somewhat sewage-like, but different from ‘recently used toilet’ smell. This cycle has repeated each year: cold...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I have a mystery, my bathroom has a sewage smell appears to get far worse 5pm-9pm. I have plugged my bathroom/sink with plugs and its 100% coming from the toilet. Tried Lugi worlds best plunger, that air gun blaster and 50 buckets of hot water down the toilet for 2-3 days and no joy, the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock