Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Performa 24i HE Secondary Heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi guys.

Changed a secondary heat exchanger in the above mentioned boiler today. Got it all put back together then when I filled up again water was leaking from one of the points where the pipes enter it. I have pushed them in as far as they go and clipped them but still no luck.

There is O rings inside the heat exchanger where the pipes slide in but they don't 'grip' if that is the right word, the clips hold them in place but obviously not tight enough.

To remove the pipes in the first place was really hard, it was as though they had been stuck in place with some adhesive of some sort but not sure if it was just a build up of scale.

Any help appreciated, do I need to use some type of thermal paste as a kind of jointing compound?

refit them with silicone grease or furniture polish changed 100,s never had one leak if you have fitted them dry you may have knackered them,they need renewing on the pipework for the main hex as well

refit them with silicone grease or furniture polish changed 100,s never had one leak if you have fitted them dry you may have knackered them,they need renewing on the pipework for the main hex as well

Thanks, I did add silicone grease too but seemed pretty pointless, is it possible that I haven't fully pushed the pipes in to the heat exchanger? Do you mean that if the heat echanger is being changed then the two sections of pipe coming off it need changing too?

did you reuse the old O rings, if so they will leak, new everytime as the old ones harden and wont seal again

Thanks, I did add silicone grease too but seemed pretty pointless, is it possible that I haven't fully pushed the pipes in to the heat exchanger? Do you mean that if the heat echanger is being changed then the two sections of pipe coming off it need changing too?
no just the o rings as LP saidhave you got the clips the right way round?

The only O rings visible were inside the heat exchanger where the pipes slide in. Couldn't see to push the pipes in anymore than I have. Will probably be send back tomorrow but not sure what I can do differently.

The only O rings visible were inside the heat exchanger where the pipes slide in. Couldn't see to push the pipes in anymore than I have. Will probably be send back tomorrow but not sure what I can do differently.
did you remove the top pipe from the main hex? the pipes should push in a fair way and then the clips sits tight to it

no just the o rings as LP saidhave you got the clips the right way round?

Just been looking at the manual online and will have to check the clips tomorrow, it wasn't obvious today that they have to go a certain way as they spin. Hopefully it's just a matter of moving the clips to the position shown in the manual.

Being a beginner I hate it when the customer doesn't have their manual! will have to start taking my laptop in with me when I'm on boiler jobs.

Last edited:
as its you i will go take a photo of my performa to show how they go but its going in the gsr only forum

did you remove the top pipe from the main hex? the pipes should push in a fair way and then the clips sits tight to it

I removed both pipes as I changed the entire unit. Both pipes were pushed in fully and the clips were sitting tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Performa 24i HE Secondary Heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock