Search the forum,

Discuss New Boiler, Leaking stopcock & Professional Practice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY_Diasaster

Hi,

I had a new Worcester Bosch 42CDi boiler installed a few weeks ago by a local Heating engineers.

Unfortunately, we were left without heating or hot water for six days, as the gas pressure was too low (only 13mbar). I was told by the engineer that the pressure cannot be tested until after the new boiler is fitted.

After the new supply was installed by NGN the boiler was commissioned, but a few days later I noticed water leaking out from under the kitchen sink cupboard. I traced this back to stopcock, which had been turned fully open. I wound this in a few turns and the leak stopped. However, we live in a three storey house, and the leak has not only caused the paint to bubble up off the ceiling of the room underneath, but some plaster boards have started to come away from the joists.

I contacted the installer, who admitted that he was aware of stop cocks leaking as they degraded with age, but it wasn't his problem, but mine as we had a faulty stopcock and his engineer did the right thing by turning it fully open.

I was pretty angry, and his arrogance was something to behold - especially as I'd just paid them over £3k.

I contacted WB, who 'didn't want to get involved'; despite the Heating engineer being a WB accredited installer.

Anyway, I now have a £300 bill to repair the ceiling, but wanted to understand from the professional CH engineers/plumbers out there what the normal industry accepted practice is in this situation:-

1) Are faulty stop cocks widespread, if so, what is the normal practice for turning water back on, and checking for leaks?
2) Can the mains working gas pressure be measured BEFORE a new boiler is installed?

Thanks for your help.
Steve

When you say new supply, do you mean from meter to boiler ? was there a reason why boiler installer could not run new gas pipe, or was the problem with the gas main to the meter ? Unfortunately stopcock glands can and do drip if disturbed but its a very simple fix, if plumber noticed it leaking he should have pointed this out and tried to fix it, wile he was there, or at least advised to replace it, was you advised that there was a problem with gas supply, Did you have a boiler B4 or was this a new install ?

NGN installed upgraded supply from gas main to meter, and the installer put 28mm pipe from meter to boiler.

15 year old Gloworm Swiftflow (125e) was replaced.

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive an answer to your question.

I ammsusing the old gas pipe was not big enough for the new boiler. When we install new boilers we can normally tell by experience if the gas pipe will need to be upgraded or not, but can not prove and confirm this until the new boiler is on the wall. ( please note that I'm not personally gas safe. Am in training for it)

As for the stopcock, they do degrade and it is not uncommon for it to leak when they get old. The plumber should have advised you if it was leaking, but he may not have noticed. It may have not shown any signs of leaking when he inspected it, or it may be in a position where it would have been hard to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Boiler, Leaking stopcock & Professional Practice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock