Search the forum,

Discuss Keston c55 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevenstn61bs@g

Hi had a call from a customer today about the above boiler,it has a intermittent fault. does not always fire up when called for , and Read's error code which is fan not working.
this boiler [not registered] is we think about 2 years old. Any body had this fault before or any idea what wood cause this to happen to a boiler that is less then two years old.
Thanks.

Any more details? Fault codes, does the fan run at all, have you been to the job? Intermittent faults can be caused by a multitude of possibilities.

Hi thanks for your reply, the customer was told by keston that the code that was showing was a fan error fault , it is an intermittent fault as the customer says that it will run OK one day but not the next day and comes up with the code, i am going there tomorrow any thoughts that you have would be helpful as i have not worked on Keston boilers before.
thanks

hi do you know if the error code is e28 or b28 the e code is a error code a severe problem or the b code is a block not a severe fault,ive had keston engineers out to a boiler recently both stood and sratched heads what a boiler

Have had fan problems with Keston's. new fans are silly prices & can be awkward to fit.

axe.jpg this tends to work on most tat boilers

Kestons are horrible boilers to work on and a real pain in the arse fault finding on them. Good luck.

works quite well on the following keston,ferroli,baxi solo he,ideal,sime,heatline,ideal,other obscure tat,ravenheat,most glowworms,all plastic worcesters,ideal,baxi bahama,and not forgetting ideal

ive got a virtually unused c55 sitting in my shed its done 4 weeks work heap of crap but if you need spares???

mr TP has fitted quite a few of these boilers and will continue to do so. We've been happy with them. Parts are relly expensive, infact he repaired one a short while ago and the repair bill to customer was £1,000! The most expensive boiler repair ever! Mr TP only charged the bare minimum for labour as he felt sorry for customers as parts were so expensive.

Keston technical line should be able to help you (they are part of Ideal Heating now).

Worked on quite a few of these. And in nearly everycase it has been the pcb or fan.

Check the rubber hose on the right had side for the flue as these tend to fail too. And make sure some clown hasn't used conpression fittings on the flue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we had a similar intermittent fault turned out to be the fan's wiring link keston engineer changed it no problems since

mr TP has fitted quite a few of these boilers and will continue to do so. We've been happy with them. Parts are relly expensive, infact he repaired one a short while ago and the repair bill to customer was £1,000! The most expensive boiler repair ever! Mr TP only charged the bare minimum for labour as he felt sorry for customers as parts were so expensive.

Keston technical line should be able to help you (they are part of Ideal Heating now).

mr tp should change brands or buy a axe

How can you be happy when they supply over priced parts that cuts into your margins

Why will Mr T continue fit these,is the loyalty scheme good?

The only thing they had going for them was the flue system,now that is not the case as other boiler manufacturers offer a similar design

I think to much of my customers to supply them with one

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Keston C55 it has been nothing but trouble for the last 2 years. We cannot have the central heating and hot water on at the same time, as the priority always goes to the hot water and not the underfloor heating, so we have to have them on a different times for either of them to work properly. We also have constant issues with all sorts of strange codes which appear on the boiler's read out panel. Most of the codes don't even appear in their manual so we have no idea what the boiler is doing most of the time. We often have C74 flashing on and off, D51 and other random codes. It often comes up with error codes that are in the book, the usual E codes, when the boiler is reset it settles down.

Our most recent issue is that it decides some days to turn the hot water on and on other days it just doesn't bother. There is no pattern to it, some times it happens in the morning, so we have cold showers, nice! On other occasions it doesn't come on in the evening, it follows no pattern and is entirely random. We have so far had 5 different time switches fitted as our electrician thought it was something to do with them, but the most recent clock is still making no difference.

We also use a huge amount of gas, as the boiler seems to keep 'ramping' itself up and down all the time. We have a 5 bed house, with 3 bathrooms, underfloor heating and there are three of us in the house, we use around £450 of gas every quarter - apart from the summer which is still about £300 a quarter.

Any one got any ideas what C74 means and D51? And what the issue is with not being able to have the hot water and central heating on at the same time. And why we have the random issue with the hot water not coming on.

This boiler really is a total piece of junk! It was expensive and was fitted because we needed to put it a basement with the flue being well above ground level, and our Plumber thought this was the only boiler that would work in that situation - so we are stuck with it.

Thanks Ruth.

Ruth might be better to copy and paste this into your own thread and sombody might be able to help ! Maybe post your area and lads of forum local to you might help better !

Keston are the worst boiler ever. Changed a main heat exchanger and the part alone was 800 green queens! The design is horrible, parts are horrible and worst of all they are expensive.

c74 is the desired temperature/actual temp of the central heatng circuit the d 51 is the desired/actual temp of the hot water required.... that boiler sounds way too much for your home a decent engineer will be able to sort out most of your issues, and MAYBE change the maximum heat output thereby reducing the consumption.. the hot water circuit will usually take priority over heating circuits but the system can be altered to your needs. your electrician shouldn't need to change programmers constantly as he can check operation of the circuitry very simply

Concept is good, but far more complicated than they need to be, hence ultra sensitive and likely to break down.

Hi.
I mentioned before that we have fitted a few of these boilers.
Don't get me wrong - a few, not hundreds!
Parts are very expensive when it goes wrong so it may well be worth calling out the manufacturer's engineers - ie. cheaper for customer.
- I can't remember what their deal is , about 2 years ago we couldn't get to our customer for a few days so I called Keston for them and it was about £250 (about the same price as all the others Heateam/WB, vaillant) .

I know the customer was horrified at the price and thought if we went we could do it cheaper! I explained to him it could well cost more and would take longer as would have to wait for parts to come.

Remember my earlier post where we had to charge £1,000 to repair a boiler(mostly parts we barely covered labour costs) - but multiple parts were required as a customer damaged things when continuing to use it after being advised to keep it turn off.

I have fixed a few Keston c55's. Pcb's and fans are very common and the rubber flue pipe is a bit of a joke.
Come to think of it the Allen bolts holding the case on are a big PITA.

Mmmmmm need axe

Correct gas pressure is important on these units too. Under pressure causes loads of problems. High tech appliances, but no good unless every thing is spot on the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Keston c55 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock