Search the forum,

Discuss installing bathroom suite, do I need to dn system with combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil T

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Hi all, I'm installing new bathroom suite and wondered if I needed to drain the whole system, with combi installed, or could I just turn off water and run off hot and cold through kitchen taps? I'll obviously turn off boiler while I'm working but wondered if the system would be affected by this and what the best way to do the job would be?

if its a combi turn boiler off shut mains stop tap off work on pipework install full bore isos where convenient turn water back on to rest of house and pipe away from there

If your working on hot and cold, shut off SC and open all taps downstairs followed by all taps upstairs, this will drain all the potable water from your taps = empty pipes.

rip out bathroom, install full bore isos then you can turn on rest of house while you get your first fix in!

open lowest taps and then the highest to make suire when you cut in you don't draw air into the system and cover yourself in water though haha

I was planning on putting gate valves on pipework going into bathroom to isolate the room so I could have water back on while I work. Would gate valves be ok?

yes but better to use lever valves as they wont let water by in a couple years, gate valves hardly ever shut off completely

Thanks for the advice lads, the mrs will be happy with the info too lol :)

amen to jase! hate hate valves! a quarter turn leaver handkle will do the job!

just been informed by the better half that while the waters off she wants chrome pipe on downstairs wc. i'm going to replace the iso valve as there is an old stopcock type valve on it but its teed off from the stopcock. would draining down to here affect the boiler?

Hi all, I'm installing new bathroom suite and wondered if I needed to drain the whole system, with combi installed, or could I just turn off water and run off hot and cold through kitchen taps? I'll obviously turn off boiler while I'm working but wondered if the system would be affected by this and what the best way to do the job would be?

Not in the "tred" then :smile:

Belts and braces every time.

Fresh out of college after doing evening classes and still wet behind the ears (no pun intended) :) hoping to find work to get some experience before going it alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing bathroom suite, do I need to dn system with combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Where and how does the water supply work and is there only one rising main pipe and where is it usually located? I am top floor flat, mains fed supply and all 6 in the block have a shared rising main pipe (I think unless there is meant to be more than one). Kitchen: From the ground floor to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
I'm going to have my bathroom renovated and that includes changing my rusty old rad for a towel rail. I wanna cut down the costs as much as possible so there's things I want to do myself. In order to change the rad I'll have to turn off the lock shields then slowly drain the rad. The thing is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock