Search the forum,

Discuss Awkward Tap Washer Relacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulskeet

Hello, can anybody advise how I can get to the tap washer on the attached tap? See picture.
Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 96
Turn the nut with H on anti-clock wise.
remove the pozi drive screw
remove the tap x head
unscrew the chrome dome anti clock wise
you should now be able to access the gland nut.
Dont forget to turn the water off first.

also when you access the guts (the bit your going to find under the chrome bits) undo anti clockwise again but get something like grips covered with a rag or similar to hold the tap still (on the spout) otherwise you'll disturb the joint underneath where its attached to the pipe..

Sometimes it's hard to get the cross head off an old tap, if it's just the washer that needs replaced you might get away with turning off the water, fully opening the tap unscrewing the chrome dome and fitting a slim spanner in to unscrew the tap body

a good tip from years ago was get a thin bit of wood, adjustable spanner and some big pump pliers. you put the adjustables on the hexagon nut as inline with the spout as poss. place the slice of wood on the right hand side (to prevent scratches) of the spout, then get your big grips on both of them and squeeze. it holds the tap in place and frees the guts up in one (9times out of 10 it works). good luck.

Or if you can't be bothered looking for a screwdriver (or even turning the water off)
Pull the shroud up
Open the tap fully
Undo the nut
Stick a rag in the tap body held in place with your footprints
Chenge the washer
Screw it back together.

Quicker than typing this lot with 1 finger

Or if you can't be bothered looking for a screwdriver (or even turning the water off)
Pull the shroud up
Open the tap fully
Undo the nut
Stick a rag in the tap body held in place with your footprints
Chenge the washer
Screw it back together.

Quicker than typing this lot with 1 finger

Eh did I not say that? ;-)
Cannae beat the old boys

Eh did I not say that? ;-)
Cannae beat the old boys

No I didn't, I said turn the water off, but I must admit I've done plenty using your method, just lean on the footprints with your elbow while you change the washer, once you have done it a couple of times it's no bother

Btw just jamb the rag in with the tang of the foot prints and it won't move.

Its a good idea to cadge a pair of rubber gloves if it is the hot :smile:

And price work/bonus, imagine getting the steps out the van to go up a communal tenanment loft to turn off a cold supply,

I canny imagine it at awe !

I don't think i've turned the water off for a tap washer since 1975 :lol:

And price work/bonus, imagine getting the steps out the van to go up a communal tenanment loft to turn off a cold supply,

Just thinking about that Kirk. When was a tap washer ever easy. You could get a days time from one years ago if you knew how to play the game:smile:

I have a wee 8" Swedish Bahco adjustable spanner which is identical to the newer Swedish Bahco except it is very slim & I would probably tend to just open those old taps full on, slacken the cover & use my thiner Bahco to slacken the works to change the washer.
A tap with the rubber handles of grips or pliers tends to help release those heads though.

You must have lightning reflexes not to get spurted in the face first.

Can you link me to this domed washer you talk of? 'Cos reseating is annoying so I want me some of that!

Yes. Try it. The water runs out the spout.

I've never reseated a tap in my life. Use a domed washer.

Depends how much time you want to spend messing about with taps.
i do some thing similar,but screw a 1/2 cap into the top easy enough though even on mains or if the taps upstairs open all the outlets below it helps as well

ive welded my own tap head pullet, i bent the end of 2 6 inch nais to about 110 degrees then welded them both to a nut, one either side of the nut, then in the end of the polt i drilled a small hole up the threas, i thake the grub screw holding the head off, then the red or blue thing, drop a roll pin inside this hole, then put 2 of the hadles of the + shape tap head into the nails then start scrwing the bolt down the rollpin fits inside the hole in the bottom of the bolt and ans you screw down it acts like a puller and pulls the head off! works brilliant! no risk of scratches cracks!!! can post a pic if anybodys interested!

ive welded my own tap head puller, i bent the end of 2 6 inch nais to about 110 degrees then welded them both to a nut, one either side of the nut, then in the end of the polt i drilled a small hole up the threas, i thake the grub screw holding the head off, then the red or blue thing, drop a roll pin inside this hole, then put 2 of the hadles of the + shape tap head into the nails then start scrwing the bolt down the rollpin fits inside the hole in the bottom of the bolt and ans you screw down it acts like a puller and pulls the head off! works brilliant! no risk of scratches cracks!!! can post a pic if anybodys interested!

ive welded my own tap head puller, i bent the end of 2 6 inch nais to about 110 degrees then welded them both to a nut, one either side of the nut, then in the end of the polt i drilled a small hole up the threas, i thake the grub screw holding the head off, then the red or blue thing, drop a roll pin inside this hole, then put 2 of the hadles of the + shape tap head into the nails then start scrwing the bolt down the rollpin fits inside the hole in the bottom of the bolt and ans you screw down it acts like a puller and pulls the head off! works brilliant! no risk of scratches cracks!!! can post a pic if anybodys interested!
yes chuck a pic up

ill take a pic tommorow, looks rough as hell but does the job!!!

Yes. Try it. The water runs out the spout.

I've never reseated a tap in my life. Use a domed washer.

Depends how much time you want to spend messing about with taps.

We used to get 16mins per tap to re washer, repack and reseat, but you could only claim the time if you had a reseating tool

tap washer story
go to a resturant in st james cant find stopcock building is just three floorsa presure doesntlook to fierce so we decide to do it live star undoing and after a couple of turns the body flies out and hits the ceiling jam a rag in the tap body water is now gushing out basin waste cant stand the pace basin overflows before we got itturned of restaurant was 4 inches deep and the water was running down into pallmall
turns out when it was turned into a restaurant it was connected up to the 12 storey office development next door

tap washer story
go to a resturant in st james cant find stopcock building is just three floorsa presure doesntlook to fierce so we decide to do it live star undoing and after a couple of turns the body flies out and hits the ceiling jam a rag in the tap body water is now gushing out basin waste cant stand the pace basin overflows before we got itturned of restaurant was 4 inches deep and the water was running down into pallmall
turns out when it was turned into a restaurant it was connected up to the 12 storey office development next door

That's one of the ones you find yourself sobbing and saying "Oh God's, why me?"

I refurbished an ideal 1980s mixer, on gravity, just as normal removed head shoved apprentice with a cloth on it. Bath running. He noticed that basin almost stopped so turned off bath..... Went back to a hot and flustered level 2 apprentice with scalded fingers..... No damage to house tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Awkward Tap Washer Relacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock