Search the forum,

Discuss Air in gravity primary feed and return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hargreaves 79

Hi, wondering if anyone experienced with gravity hot water and pumped central htg systems can help!!
I'm a general builder and have a lot of experience with plumbing systems but need some help on this one, i undertook some building work for a customer and part of the work was to tidy some pipe work and reduce the size of the boxing in, amongst the pipe work was the primary feed and return and the basic layout of the pipe when work when replaced was the same just a bit more stream lined.
it has now started accumulating air and wont circulate round the coil in the cylinder properly it has a towel rad tee'ed off just before the cylinder which circulates fine, its a floor standing ideal mexico boiler.
It was fine for about 3 months after i did the work and if i drain the system and re-fill it works fine for a couple of days then won't circulate properly.
someone has said to me about putting a bypass between the fill pipe and the vent would this help?

From experience, I always tell people not to let builders have anything to do with plumbing. :grin:
Too many questions need asked, but here goes, -
What else did you do? Is the cylinder still the original? Did you alter the pipes at the cylinder? How do you know "accumulating air"? Where is this air? There should be no air ever accumulating in gravity pipes. Hope you haven't fitted bendy plastic pipes onto the gravity pipes?
A bypass won't help the cylinder to heat, but just sounds like an easy fix. Really mad idea.
If the towel rad is heating fine, then the original cylinder should heat (if original pipes unaltered at the cylinder).
Usual mistake is treating gravity pipes as if they are pumped. They need fitted well. Perhaps you have been unlucky & pulled dirt into pipes.
Begs the question - Why did you not get a proper heating guy in to do the work?

Last edited:
Have you reduced the size of the Flow & Return pipes ? (Streamlined as you put it) have you crossed them over ? have you added extra bends (elbows) Possible air trapped in coil,

Maybe a picture or two would be a good idea, then probably an experienced heating guy.

Sometimes you just need to bite the bullet.

The feed and return are in 28mm all the way from the boiler to the cylinder and the towel rad is tee'ed off it 22mm just before cylinder, the towel rad is circulating fine.
i can't have them crossed over because when you fire the boiler from stone cold the top pipe from the heat exchanger becomes hot and upstairs you can feel the hot water flowing into the top of the cyli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air in gravity primary feed and return in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no issue, however, when running the heating the pressure drops. Im looking for some ideas on what could be causing this. I have no sign of pipe leaks...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock