Search the forum,

Discuss Advice Sought Following Boiler Service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sro80

Hi Guys,

I am looking for some advice following a boiler service earlier this week. I am not an engineer, just a home-owner. Last year (June 2013) I bought a new build property. Installed was an Ideal Logic Combi 35 boiler. A few days ago I had it services by British Gas for the first service as required.

The B/G engineer serviced and tested the unit and advised it had "passed" however the CO/CO2 emissions were high for a boiler 1yr old (but technically within the limits). He got a reading of 0.0032 (or 320ppm I believe). I have a copy of the original install paperwork and the figure there reads 0.0017.

He suggested I go back to the developer and ask them to investigate why the reading is so high. I did speak to the developer who passed it out to their plumbing contractors. The contractors contacted me and advised that a) it is within limits, and b) the readings can change based on the direction of the wind.

I find that second statement rather worrying. The contractors have agreed to come down but I feel I will be fobbed off.

With regards to the readings, is this something I need to be genuinely concerned about? Any advice for handling (possibly awkward) contractors?

Many thanks in advance.

S.

funnily enough its bg you should be going back to to see whether they just carried out a safety check or did they actually service the boiler. That is, did your technician take analyser reading, note they were high, pop open the burner comp to see it was all clean and dandy, reassemble it, check the gas pressure to the boiler, run it up to working temp reanalyse the boiler, carryout calibration adjustment to the gas valve to ensure it was running at the correct CO2 levels and CO levels and hand over a working boiler fit for purpose. So now you know what to expect prehaps you should employ a gas technician to carry out a service rather than relying on bg to do a safety check and try and blame a developer for something that is nothing to do with them!

Got nothing to do with the contractors as bc where the last to touch it and why take a bg policy out on a new build house when the boiler will be covered by manufacturers warranty and all other works will be covered by the developer for a period of time

Got nothing to do with the contractors as bc where the last to touch it and why take a bg policy out on a new build house when the boiler will be covered by manufacturers warranty and all other works will be covered by the developer for a period of time

only if it has an annual service!

If you dont have anual service then warranty void, but sounds very much like the original installer didnt set the boiler up for a start, but whether he did or didnt british gas have took your money and shouldve checked all gas pipe sizes and pressures as last one at the boiler so it falls on there shoulders im afraid, but if its a new install there SHOULD be a benchmark book as well as the installer form of saftey checks to look at and see what was done on instalation completion,

BG just did a flue check. Typically a logic is 0.0011 to 0.0020

Probably full of dust and debris from construction site. Did the engineer strip the boiler and pour water through it? This is what the manufacturers instructions tell you to to on service.

Recent new property hmm so it might be covered by NHBC - or are they defunct
Chking

Hi,

To clarify, I contacted B/G to have them carry out an annual service (didn't notice him pouring water through the unit). I do not have a maintenance contract with them. The engineer did the service (gas pressure check etc) and not just a safety check. When he noticed the "high" readings, he checked various items and then he contacted a colleague and the technical people at Ideal (with me in the room) to try and identify the cause. They went through various checks with him, which he had already done as part of the service, but did them again however they were until to identify the cause of the "high" readings.

B/G wouldn't do anything further beyond the service as I don't have a maintenance contract with them and as the boiler is still under warranty I was advised to go back to the developer to "request investigation into the high readings".

I am not looking to blame anyone here.

If the fan didn't come out and water didn't go in I would be asking for my money back. Read the instructions for the boiler it clearly shows how to service it. BG are required by LAW to follow these instructions. They don't because they are above the law.

Why not get the manufacturer to take a look if it's under warranty. Surely that's what it's there for and they should be able to establish whether appliance fault, incorrect servicing or installation fault.

You'l just have to contact ideal and they will send one of there engineers out because its under warranty, ive had to get ideal engineer out to couple brand new boilers and both occassions was faulty ideal parts , its slightly discouraged me as you shouldnt have this with brand new boilers, if bg couldnt find anything then it will be something internally wrong causing this and maybe nothing to do with original installer although like i said b4 he shouldve filled your benchmark book with CO / CO2 readings etc when installed as possibly always been like this,,, good luck with getting it fixed,

Post 1 original reading 0.0017 on install.
Only need to contact ideal if above 0.004 so is within limits on resent service of 0.0032
On post 2 it says carryout calibration of gas valve I don't think that there is any adjustment on this gas valve but please correct me if there is.if reading was above 0.004 and could not be lowered by a service. it possible would be a new gas valve installed under warranty assuming install is correctly installed gas size etc.

No you cannot adjust gas valve. But the silencer gets blocked with dust and dirt. Burners get chipped when thrown around on site. But this only gets seen when you open the appliance up to service it. Money back money back money back from British gash.

No you cannot adjust gas valve. But the silencer gets blocked with dust and dirt. Burners get chipped when thrown around on site. But this only gets seen when you open the appliance up to service it. Money back money back money back from British gash.

Live and learn, but I havent worked on one of these delights yet

i cant honestly see it being any fault of the installer, and they may charge you for the visit to cover there costs.

It sounds like the boiler is working fine but will need cleaning soon. If BG did not follow the ideal instructions for the service then get your money back.

If ideal thought it was a fault they would come and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice Sought Following Boiler Service in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock