Search the forum,

Discuss Your thoughts on addition of toilet to en suite shower room in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cnicho

Hello,
I have a first floor en suite which has a shower and basin only. Both drain into a 50mm waste which connects vertically to a 110mm soil pipe on the ground floor in the middle of the house. The 50mm pipe is vented above out through the roof.

I want to install a toilet but there is not enough space to extend the 110mm soil pipe up to the the first floor and there is no soil pipe on the same side of the house as the shower room.

I think a macerator will help me install the toilet where the shower, basin and toilet are input into the macerator. I'm not sure about the connection of the outlet to the 50mm waste pipe.

According to the instructions there has to be a vertical section on the outlet before a horizontal and onward connection can be made to the 50mm pipe.

Is a macerator the way to go or is there an alternative way to fit a toilet and continue to use the existing 50mm pipe?

Thanks
Craig

Welcome to the forum craig. Hopefully someone will be along later with a suggestion on how to do it without a macerator as they are the last resort. But if you have to go this route then you can go out and down from the macerator but fit an anti syhon valve at the highest point so as not to break the water seal and personally keep the basin & shower out of the macerator then you can continue to use them if the macerator is out of action ie a power cut.

Like rpm said macerator is last resort if all drain options are not possible. You say the drains at opposite side of house . Do you know what way the joists are going as sometimes you can get a 4" pipe fed right through from one side to the other (parallel to joist).
Welcome to the forum .

Whats the minimum fall required on a 4" Kris? Sorry I`ve forgotton.
Or what`s the maths? x fall per metre?

Last edited:
You can buy and fit a lot of 110mm for the cost of buying and fitting a macerator!

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

The joists run the right way to get to the existing soil stack on the other side of the house but are obstructed by the copper work feeding into the airing cupboard from the central heating which the en suite is adjacent to. It would be too destructive to work around.

I read it to be minimum 18mm per metre, from previous posts. But obviously that could be less on a short distance. The fittings are set to a 2 1/2 degree fall - 'square' bends & junctions are 87.5 degrees actual.
I tend to not worry if forced on a short distance to have the pipe just with a slight fall, as long as it is accurately & well supported every couple of feet.
I use a M&F tight radius bend for coming up to floor level & I use the male end of the bend towards the floor where I have restricted depth of joist. A 6" joist will allow the soil pipe in if very short length of run.

Thought it was 9mm per meter if the stacks open/ ventilated, minimum
If the op has 8 inch joists then front to back you may get away with it, even 6 inch if bathrooms in centre of building

It is 18mm per m if branched into a stack,

I thought fall was 17mm perm so theres 3 different figures I was taught in England.There was an Englishman,a Scottish man and an irish man its all the makings of a joke.No offence best coz the irish man always come off worst BTW my family are irish descendant ..brum

Thanks for the welcome and replies.

The joists run the right way to get to the existing soil stack on the other side of the house but are obstructed by the copper work feeding into the airing cupboard from the central heating which the en suite is adjacent to. It would be too destructive to work around.

Re route copper to go either above or below 4 " pipe..brum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Your thoughts on addition of toilet to en suite shower room in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock