Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 240 strange DHW issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I know these 240's are getting old, but a site I was working at today still has 5 in active service and they are slowly replacing them. In the meantime one has developed a fault that I can't pin-point and it's irritating me as I normally find this model simple to diagnose and fix. In fact I generally prefer them to many newer ones!
Original symptoms - classic luke-warm hot water. I started off changing the diaphragm without really thinking much as it's dead easy on that model, and the old one was totally perished so it seemed fair enough.
However, this didn't solve it and I thought heating feed pipe was getting hot so suspected and changed the diverter valve. But still no hot water.
At this point I stopped and had a cup of tea. I then realised the heating had been on earlier, and in fact the heating feed pipe probably hadn't been hot due to the valve, so that change was probably not required and a red herring.
So then I stared feeling the pipes leading to the secondary heat exchanger. (Yes, should have done this first). The hot feed from the diverter to the heat exchanger was piping hot, as was the return. But the DHW pipe coming out of the HE wasn't getting hot at all.
The only thing I managed to achieve was that I found that if I restricted the mains cold water flow (using the isolater on the incomer) I could get the DHW pipe to be fairly hot, albeit with reduced but tolerable flow. So while not ideal, there is now at least some hot water.
It feels as if I've proved there is an issue with the secondary heat exchanger, but wanted to ask for collective wisdom before either tackling changing it or scrapping the boiler.
Thanks in advance.

Tim if you are gas safe please send your details (pic of front and back of your card) to either @ShaunCorbs @Harvest Fields or @Riley and we’ll get you in the gas safe section.

Nope not gas safe, was corgi but stopped gas installs years ago. To clarify I work with a chap who is, and he lets me do the nasty stuff on the wet side (I don't touch the gas side). If that means you can't help, fair enough.

Reply to Worcester 240 strange DHW issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock