Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 240 strange DHW issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I know these 240's are getting old, but a site I was working at today still has 5 in active service and they are slowly replacing them. In the meantime one has developed a fault that I can't pin-point and it's irritating me as I normally find this model simple to diagnose and fix. In fact I generally prefer them to many newer ones!
Original symptoms - classic luke-warm hot water. I started off changing the diaphragm without really thinking much as it's dead easy on that model, and the old one was totally perished so it seemed fair enough.
However, this didn't solve it and I thought heating feed pipe was getting hot so suspected and changed the diverter valve. But still no hot water.
At this point I stopped and had a cup of tea. I then realised the heating had been on earlier, and in fact the heating feed pipe probably hadn't been hot due to the valve, so that change was probably not required and a red herring.
So then I stared feeling the pipes leading to the secondary heat exchanger. (Yes, should have done this first). The hot feed from the diverter to the heat exchanger was piping hot, as was the return. But the DHW pipe coming out of the HE wasn't getting hot at all.
The only thing I managed to achieve was that I found that if I restricted the mains cold water flow (using the isolater on the incomer) I could get the DHW pipe to be fairly hot, albeit with reduced but tolerable flow. So while not ideal, there is now at least some hot water.
It feels as if I've proved there is an issue with the secondary heat exchanger, but wanted to ask for collective wisdom before either tackling changing it or scrapping the boiler.
Thanks in advance.

Tim if you are gas safe please send your details (pic of front and back of your card) to either @ShaunCorbs @Harvest Fields or @Riley and we’ll get you in the gas safe section.

Nope not gas safe, was corgi but stopped gas installs years ago. To clarify I work with a chap who is, and he lets me do the nasty stuff on the wet side (I don't touch the gas side). If that means you can't help, fair enough.

Reply to Worcester 240 strange DHW issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a very strange issue with my BAXI 105e DHW. if i turn on the hot tap the pump starts and demand for DHW is shown, after a some seconds it will show an error, 60 degree, pump or flow. Well switch the tap off wait maybe fifteen seconds turn tap on and low and behold hot water. If after a...
Replies
Views
Hope someone can offer some help with this issue, I have a Baxi 105e works fine no real downside, serviced looked after regularly. Have an issue with hot water, open hot water taps runs cold and indicates on boiler 60degrees or pump or pressure problem. Leave it ten seconds open taps again low...
Replies
Views
G
Morning Guys, I have a Worcester 230 Combi in a rental property that is going to overheat lockout after a couple of minutes on DHW, no issue when on CH but if DHW is called for when heating is on same fault occurs. System is clean as always had inhibitor so unlikely to be a blocked heat...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get hot water ok but the heating doesn't come on when turning the thermostat to a higher temperature. I've got a 2 way motorized diverter valve which would...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock