Search the forum,

Discuss Water tank problems. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Seanuss

Hi, my first post so hi everyone.

we recently moved into a new house, with black particles swimming through the upstairs cold taps. Upon inspecting the attic water tank, there was around an inch of sludge in the bottom. So we got a plumber in last week to disconnect the tank and hook the cold taps up to the mains. I asked him to drain the tank externally as I heard you're not supposed to drain it through the system if it's full of rubbish. However my wife told me that's exactly what he did - he blasted it all through, sludge and all.

So the problem has persisted, the water still doesn't run clean. Was the plumber right to drain the tank this way - should the problem settle down after a while? Bit of a tricky one as he's done a lot of good work for us. Hope someone can advise!

thanks,

sean.

Hi Sean and welcome to the forum. What your best to do is take a sample of the water and get it tested . The plumber couldve drained the tank through the hot water tap as its always gonna be tank fed so thats not major however he shouldnt have put any of the sludge through the pipes , just the bulk of the water then the last part i wouldve put into buckets or pumped it out and scooped the sludge into a bucket. Normally tanks struggle to get through the attic hatches and its usually impossible to take them out with anything inside them. It's not something I've ever done as up north Scotland our water is crystal clear. But if tank lids have been left off dust n stew can build up over the years.

I think the black bits are the bits left over after
whoever drilled the tank side connections etc
and left them inside the tank -wrong but !

to be quite honest they will not hurt you all
materials to do with mains water are tested and approved
so you are most probably quite safe

I would not get too upset

centralheatking
ye

draining through the taps is the normal way. If the tanks full of corrosion/ residue then prob best to change it or have it cleaned and brought up to current regs if needed. It should have a lid, be insulated, have a screened warning pipe and ventilation etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water tank problems. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock