Search the forum,

Discuss Starter tools help?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dan22

Hi i was just wanting to know if anyone could point out some good tools to buy for me as im new to the game and will be doing plumbing and gas work. I also dont wana pay through the roof prices. Also any advice on what tools to buy first etc. (essential tools)

thanks dan :);)

if you look back at previous threads, youll find this has been dealt with in detail a couple of times already

I've said this before but i'll repeat myself.

Buy the best you can afford then when you can afford it buy the best.

Cheap tools are cheap for a reason. They are shyte!

Here is a wee list to start you off.

Footprints (monument) 7" and 9" (approx £16)
Knipex alligators 180mm and 250 mm (£30)
Pipeslices 22mm & 15mm (PTS £12 pair at moment)
Couple of shifters or bahco's (£6-30)
Decent 10" through tang plain screwdriver to be used for anything you need to screw, hit, dig, cut (£5)
Feather splitter (eclipse £6 or 7)
Wood chisels (£15)
Screwdriver set plain and pozi various sizes (£10- 15)
20oz hammer (£5-50)
Crawfoot (monument £20)
Box spanner set (£8)
Junior hacksaw (£3)
Big hacksaw (£7)
Pipe cutters (monument, rothenberg, ridgid £15 - 35)
Cold chisels (get the blacksmith to make you some, the ones you buy are generally shyte £30)
4lb hammer (you'll get used to it £10)
1/2" spring (£2)
8m tape (£5)
Stanley knife (£7)
Immersion key (£7)
Quickfire gas torch (£50)
Rad tail key (£3)
Boat level (£6)
14volt battery drill (bandq warehouses are selling AEG's for £54)
and hundreds of other things

Look up the tool catalogues.
Monument Knipex Rothenberg Ridgid CK Irwin Stanley etc and fill yer boots with dreams:D

Or if your a tool ***** like me..... make that list 20n times longer and have so many your Transit van is over weight !!!!

You've got great eyes Tamz ... no pencil or spirit level required !!!

I also have a few Speedfit stop ends of various sizes so in case I cut through a pipe and the water continually drips out (or more water than expected flies out!) all I need do is whack one on as a temporary measure.

You should also find a wet vacuum a great help.

My eyes are now about 11-14 vision:D

I did mention a boat level but obviously you will need other levels of various lengths. Buy decent ones like Stabila.

You don't need to buy pencils. You can always find one somewhere :eek:

Never had a use for a wet vac.

Tamz

Oops - didn't see the boat level. Re the vacuum, a friend of mine's a plumber and he doesn't have a vac. The number of times he asks me to get mine out when we're working together though ... !!!!

Good and helpful list you gave though!

i agree with tamz buy the best you can afford,buy once,dont trust apprentices with your tools as some of them are muppets

wet vac from wickes about £45 and then buy combined wet/dry filter about£11. My mates don't have vacs either but they're always saying have you got your wet vac in the van!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Starter tools help?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock