Search the forum,

Discuss radiator spud? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

walker

Hi there, ive recently got 2 chubby churchill cast iron radiators, 1 was for spares and the other was for my front room. Anyway plumbed it in and yes theres a leak in two end sections :(( seen a few vids on't web on how too remove the sections using a radiator spud but cant find 1 big enough!!! Any ideas guy's? It needs to be 1 and 3/4" wide, also what do you reckon my chances are of getting the section/nipple off? Heard they can be a nightmare too get apart. Cheers

Before you start this epic ordeal, make sure you can get the gaskets to suit the radiator.

If you can't find a spud to suit - make one.

If you heard they were a nightmare to get apart - you heard right.
If you manage to undo the sections - without damaging the nipple - get the sections apart, replace the gaskets, do it up again and succeed without a leak, you would have gone close to climbing Mount Everest without oxygen in beach attire.

Try putting in leak sealer prior to attempting disassembling the radiator.

How old are these heaters?

That easy oz-plumber lol
I've made a spud today as it happens, i was using a scaffolding bar for a bit of leverage getting the bushes off and it fits absolutely perfect in the nipple with a few notches grinded out so i will try with that later whilst adding a bit of heat, see if that loosens the thing

I can get the gaskets for it online no problem and as too age god knows theyve got to be 25+ years easily.

Thanks for your help appreciate it.

If you do make a tool. Make sure you undo the nipple the right way, as these are right and left hand threaded. ( depends which side of the rad you are undoing from.)

I have to say:

'I love the positive attitude of some people'

I really hope it goes that easy for you....keep us informed.

I'm sure many of us have been there and tried that with old cast iron panels - for an outcome that is opposite to what we first intended.

Am I just a miserable ***** - or - has experience made me miserable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to radiator spud? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a Worcester greenstar danesmoor 18/25 oil boiler. Covers 10 radiators mostly large double panels, some towel rails and smaller rads too, as well as an...
Replies
Views
Hello - I was hoping for some advice and opinions on a new combi boiler I currently have a 3 bed semi with a myson orion boiler (it isnt a combi) - the boiler was installed around 1989, hasn't given any problems and is still working fine. Due to the increase in gas prices it is time to change...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am hoping to gain some advice following encountering several issues which I'm struggling to determine the magnitude of in my central heating system. I had 8 new cast iron radiators installed in December and since then my Vokera 28 Compact boiler has been dropping pressure on a regular...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am hoping that I can pick your brains again. I have just installed an Ancona 1800mm high and 10 double columns wide radiator. This radiator was moved to the other side of the room, and I have had the floorboard up to extend the pipework using push fit with copper for the down pipes...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock