Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator hot at the top and cold at the bottom - sludge in the system?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrismw1989

Hi

We are gradually working our way through the house refurbishing it as we go. Our boiler is a netaheat profile and I suspect around 15 years old. No doubt it could do with replacement however we are trying to spread the cost out as we go.

The he rooms that have been refurbished have new rads installed (namely bathrooms and bedrooms) however the lounge rad in particular seems boiling hot at the top but freezing cold in the middle and at the bottom.

I have tried bleeding the rad incase but this has not improved the situation. I have read that there maybe sludge in the system?? Is this the likely cause?

To try and rectify the issue I plan on:
1. Removing the rad in question
2. Flush through with a hose
3. Replace

Anything else I need to take into account?

As as far as I am aware they system has never had any inhibitor or sludge cleaner applied. Would this be worth considering aswell?

any help or comments much appreciated.

Thanks chris

Yes, sounds like sludge. You might want to try some system restorer before going down other routes.

Turn off your other rads with the heating on and see if the rad gets hot all over.

If so it could be a balancing or circulation issue. Either way it sounds like a good idea to remove the radiator and flush it out. Prob best to introduce some cleaner and flush out the system after the cleaner has had chance to work. Removing rads and flushing on hose pipe would be an ideal way to see how much muck is in them. Once happy introduce some build cert approve inhibitor like sentinel or fernox.

if you do have a lot of sludge then I'd advise a power flush and magnetic filter before any new boiler is fitted

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator hot at the top and cold at the bottom - sludge in the system?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a downstairs rad that has a 23 year old TRV and it's barely heating up. I bled it, and removed the TRV head and it still just gets a bit warm. It seems to be warm over all the rad, not just at the bottom. The rest of the system heats up fine with the other rads getting hot. It's sealed...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking to fit a small Nordic 3 column radiator, but the red plastic bung that indicated the top has been removed along with all the others. I can see straight through the opening on the top and bottom and the diverter is separate, not already installed. In short, without...
Replies
Views
Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock