Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with Fluidmaster flush and inlet valves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

taxes

Hi everyone,

I am having a lousy experience with Fluidmaster and wondered if anyone else has.

I am fitting 5 toilets in a new house. 4 will be concealed cistern. I purchased one concealed cistern from B and Q on line to see if they were any good. The cistern itself is cheap plastic but that's OK as it won't be seen and there will be extra soundproofing. At first B & Q sent the wrong one (visible) but the next one came with Fluidmaster fittings.. Good, I thought. However, when fitted the unit produced a loud water hammer which had me checking every other outlet in the house for air. Eventually I phoned Fluidmaster to see it it was a known problem - and it was! Apparently, all concealed cistern valves they supply to B & Q have this fault! They do have a fixing kit but don't supply it to B & Q! They sent me one for free but it did not totally cure the problem. They then sent me a new inlet valve which did cure it. However, I then noticed a definite "Clunk" when the cistern finished emptying (both short and long flushes) and was told by one of there engineers that ALL duo flush valves made a noise on re-seating. I told him that I had other duo flush toilets which did not clunk and he dismissed my comment saying my hearing was probably not good enough the hear them. I have since checked out two other non fluidmaster duo flush toilets and there is NO clunk.

I am very disappointed as Internet comments all seem to praise fluidmaster but I have found both the products and the support totally unreliable. One other point, the first fluidmaster duo flush valve did not work properly (small flush adjustment not working) but a replacement did work.

Sorry for my first post to be a moan but can anyone suggest a reasonably priced duo flush that does not have the above problems?

Thank you.

the water hammer is caused by the very cheap plastic b&q cistern having no strength to it. The cistern flexes as the ball valve shuts snd causes a wave. This can be cured by using the flow restrictor supplied in the fluidmaster ball valve kit. ( probably not supplied in the b&q set)
pretty much all flush valves shut with a thud, but I guess yours is noisier because of the wobbly cistern. You could try coating with expanding foam to make it more rigid?
i would just return the cistern and buy a good quality one like Grohe or geberit.

Last edited:
I've never had much of a problem with fluidmaster fill valves to be honest, hate cheap crap concealed cisterns though.......

I personally don't fit anything other then fluid master and am yet to have a problem. A lot of things sold to b & q aren't always the quality that is purchased from a plumbers merchants or tool retailer.

All flush valves do shut with a clunk, and trust me I have fitted everything from V&B to B&Q. As Chalked has said above, all depends on quality of plastic used on cistern and if there is any polystyrene (soundproofing) on the cistern.

Fluidmaster are generally pretty good.

Check your water inlet pressure and make sure you fit any components supplied with valve to reduce your inlet pressure to the cistern ...regards Turnpin:smile5:

Many thanks for the prompt replies. I will check all the points made on Monday. Looks like I may have been unlucky. The cisterns, although plastic, are enclosed and secured to a 1000 mm square18 mm plywood panel and just don't move.. However, I DO have two duo flush cisterns with absolutely no clunk. They are in another house so I will check their make.

Thanks.

Off the subject here but I read recently that zannusi supply washing machines to john lewis.
JL offer an extra years warranty on these machines and zannusi supply better quality parts inside them to help prevent faults. Just what I read.
Sounds like some companies can stipulate the quality of certain goods so they can supply for a certain price. No doubt it happens all over and the customer is non the wiser. I can't imagine its the case with something as small as a flush valve mind!

Last edited:
The only concealed cisterns i fit are Giberit.
pneumatic duel flush operated and foam lined to stop condensation. around £100 at buyaparcel.com

Did you put the filter In your inlet pipe. Take the toilet is on mains

Hi,

Yes to both. It did improve it slightly. I have also turned an isolating valve down. I know that does not technically reduce the pressure but it does quieten the fill slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems with Fluidmaster flush and inlet valves. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock