Search the forum,

Discuss problems with a Direct Combination unit hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello i wondered if anyone had any advice as I have never worked on a combination unit before

The hot water bath tap will run at full flow for about a minute and then go down to a very reduced flow. If you turn the tap off and wait a minute and re run the bath the flow goes back to the maximum and then starts to flow slowly again.

The hot water heating system is a direct combination unit and there is no problem with the heating of the water but it seems that the hot water is empting quicker than the cold water can replace it.

It could be a problem with the pressure of the cold water as the cold water tank is filling up slowly (certainly slower than the cold water comes out of the taps) however it is flowing and not dribbling.

The cold water washbasin sink tap works well and the pressure is very good, however the flow coming out of the combination storage tank is a flow but does not seem to have much pressure and I wonder if this might mean that it cannot replace the water quick enough.

Or is this problem common with these types of combination tanks?

It also seems that the 15 mm pipe, feeding the combination cold water storage and the shower, has alot of condensation on the pipe unlike the other pipes, could there be a clue there?

any comments gratefully received

Paul

Sounds like you're describing something like an Elson or Rolyat type hot water storage tank. Most likely suspect, if this is the case, is a faulty ball valve supplying the hot water side as you've surmised :)

It also seems that the 15 mm pipe, feeding the combination cold water storage and the shower, has alot of condensation on the pipe unlike the other pipes, could there be a clue there?
Paul
any condensation is simply due to the temperature of the pipe in contrast to the room, made more noticeable in humid air

this time of year any mains fed cold pipe will form condensation when entering a warm atmosphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to problems with a Direct Combination unit hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock