Search the forum,

Discuss just studying s plan wiring diagrams... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
With different programmers. I see in the honeywell wiring guide, using the honeywell wiring centre it has in the back a list of programmers to connect into this circut, and where to connect the terminals into the wiring centre.

With the horstmann 2 channel programmer, it says put the hw off lead to 7 into the wiring centre, which has no other lead connected. But, if you end up using 3 x 2 mv's, then you have the orange going to 7 in wiring centre with stat. So does hw off from the timer still go to number 7?

Hope that makes sense chaps

Oh, is this just for a y plan system? You don't have a hot water off connection?

Really need to get my head around these. Have been pretty slack last couple of yrs

The best advice I could give is forget the manufacturers grey goes to no 7 ect.

Get in your head what each coloured wire should be doing, and how many connections it should! have.

Remember when fault finding not to blame a component straight away, it may have been the tw.t of an installer before you making a pigs ear of it

That is exactly what I am doing now. Going through the sequence of operations and realising what each wire does

Love it ! Like thinking aloud. I think S Plan is great, much more versatile.

s plan every time for me makes fault finding a doddle and its can be expanded to incorperate zones and unvented systems easily

Just Google S Plan wiring diagram and you will find it.

With an S plan just remember you have 2 channels of switched wires in series: one HW & one CH. As said all neutrals & earth wires are common. The only other thing is a perminant live switched by the zone valve micro switch pulling on the boiler.
A very simple 'on/off' control system.

In series isn't correct. They are parallel as they can act independently.

Series is like having three ISo valves on a supply close one and all are off .

Parallel is three supplies into same pot , open one and water is on.

DHW switch wire is in series with cylinder stat and heating in series with room stat. But not each other .

In series isn't correct. They are parallel as they can act independently.

Series is like having three ISo valves on a supply close one and all are off .

Parallel is three supplies into same pot , open one and water is on.
I don't think so, it's two circuits in series, they're not parallel circuits, well not the ones Ive wired for the last 30 years!!

Think Dikky need to go back to school.
Zone valves are not wired in series.
Learn a bit from Ermintrude:clap:

Please enlighten me chaps, why are zone valves not wired is series?
circuit.gif

If they were wired in series like the lightbulbs in your picture then all three would need ti be energized to make a one zone circuit.

Parallel diagram shows how three valves create three zones :)

With an S plan just remember you have 2 channels of switched wires in series: one HW & one CH. As said all neutrals & earth wires are common. The only other thing is a perminant live switched by the zone valve micro switch pulling on the boiler.

The clue is in Dickie's first sentence and he is right.

If they were wired in series like the lightbulbs in your picture then all three would need ti be energized to make a one zone circuit.

Parallel diagram shows how three valves create three zones :)
It's two channels, one for the HW & one for the CH; the room thermostat is 'made' for the CH zone valve to open & the cylinder thermostat is 'made' for the HW zone valve to open - a simple 'on/off' in series circuit.

I get that.
The two functions are series. I missed the bit about the s-plan.
I thought we were talking about circuits rather than wiring

Two channels in series means only works when both were on. Two channels, wired in parallel but each with series controls . Was trying to help the op understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
With an S plan just remember you have 2 channels of switched wires in series: one HW & one CH.
When I first read that it appeared to say that the HW channel is in series with the the CH channel, which is WRONG. But then I saw the "switched wires in series" bit and wondered if Dickie was referring to the HW thermostat being in series with the HW timer (and similar for the CH channel), which is correct.

So I asked the question, which started a long discussion. Just shows what can happen if someone doesn't make himself clearly understood.:wink5:

Wow, now that was an interesting read. So basically all controls in hot water side are in series, which means they all turn on and off at the same time like Christmas tree lights. And the same for ch

No, the programmer don't control the Xmas lights. Well, unless you want it to??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to just studying s plan wiring diagrams... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock