Search the forum,

Discuss Honeywell wireless stat problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jimturn

This is my first post so may I say hello to everyone/anyone reading this.

I am seeking advice re a Honeywell CM921 wireless programmer/stat, which was installed 27 months ago together with a new Baxi boiler. Following the first change of batteries the stat indicated a room temperature reading of 48 degrees, which slowly dropped to 38 degrees, which was clearly incorrect as the boiler had not been working for two days and the house was cold. Apparently the stat will not demand heat if the temperature is over 35 degrees, therefore the boiler wouldn't fire up.

After reading the manual I learned that I could override the stat by pressing the green button on the receiver unit. Unfortunately, my wife and I have to keep pressing this button every 10/15 minutes as the boiler switches off once it reaches it's maximum temperature, which is a pain. This of course means no heating until we get up in the morning, which is not so good when you are pensioners.

I tried to telephone Honeywell technical help department but discovered that this is not available to 'end users'. I then emailed Honeywell and received a short reply suggesting I remove the batteries for 8 hours which would reset the stat and if this failed the unit had a fault. I tried this suggestion but the fault remains.

Before I replace the stat, which I would rather avoid, both for financial reasons - the cost is over £100,00, a lot of money for pensioners - and without exploring all options. I wondered if anyone has any further advice or had a similar experience and if so how it was resolved. Should I replace like for like or go for a hard wired option.

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Jim.

If the stat is reading 38 deg C, then it is surely broken! What's the guarantee period? Even if it's only 12 months, I'd say it is unreasonable to expect such a poor service life. Maybe your heating system installer will have more success with Honeywell.

Put stat in freezer for 45 mins see what you get? I love Honeywell stats, bring in nearly as much money as the Siemens ones!

have you tried re syncing the room stat with the reciver at the boiler ?

have you tried re syncing the roomstat with the reciever at the boiler ??

Their are other brands on the market, is yours just a standard stat or the programmable one, if basic stat and as long as its simple to run wires, then hard wire would be cheapest but whatever your choice its going to cost.

Hi Crinkmeister, Ermintrude, 1sammyj, jtsplumbing. Thank you so much for responding to my post.
Firstly, I would agree with Crinkmeister in that I would have expected the stat last much longer as the installer advised me to have this unit fitted because he thought they were the best. I think Honeywell could do a lot better in terms of customer service, instead of only having email contact, a phoneline would be so much better, although I understand that this could cost more for them to provide. However, thsi begs the question, are they truly committed to customer service?
I do like the somewhat 'off the wall' suggestion by Ermintrude, there's an old saying 'neccessity is the mother of invention' so I will give that a try and let you all know how I get on. If this fails I will contact my installer again and see if he can negotiate a deal with Honeywell for me.
1sammyj, I did try syncing (binding) the roomstat to the receiver and this seemed OK. jtsplumbing, the stat is a programmable unit.

Thank you all once again. It's nice to know and reassuring that there are good people still around who are prepared to give of their time and offer advice. Top marks also to the people who started and maintain this forum.
Kind regards, Jim.

Get your installer to get on to the rep
I did this with Siemens unit out of warranty and got it replaced
If no luck just spread the word on plumbing forums
Honeywell only give a year
I'm using Delta Dore five year warranty and good RF range and so far no interference issue

Last edited by a moderator:
What gets me even if they replace it you end up out of pocket for labour time
And customer confidence if you fitted /recomended

there is a big problem with Honeywell stats i have replaced 20+ recently that i fitted and all have gone faulty,sad really as Honeywell is normally great kit ,to the original poster,your stat can be bypassed temporarily with a loop,post your details up in the i need a engineer section i am now fitting delta dore they seem very good so far and have a 5 year warranty

Hi ed209 & gas man,

thank you for your advice. I have yet to make contact with my installer - left a message a couple of times last week but he hasn't got back to me yet - and I'll see what he says. I guess I need to give Honeywell a chance to rectify the problem first, i.e. see if my installer can get me a replacement from Honeywell but if not, I would not be prepared to use their products again. In the meantime, I will check out your suggestion gas man re a delta dore stat just in case. I see your location is South Wales, mine is the other end of England - Sunderland, North East, so I guess that rules out any work from me.

I really appreciate you both taking the time to offer advice.

Kind regards, Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Honeywell wireless stat problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
I’m about to replace my Honeywell Smartfit system with a conventional 2 channel heating pack (I’ll need new valves to replace the low voltage Smartfit units). I was initially looking at something basic like the Drayton Twin Zone Heating Control Pack, but would prefer a wireless stat if...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Following on from my question about monitoring F & R temperatures, I needed a measuring device because the overheat stat. frequently trips and then needs to be reset. It normally happens when the boiler has switched off and is no doubt due to the hot water rising to the top of the boiler, but I...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. Pilot light extinction problem on an old Myson Economist has been traced to a faulty overheat limit stat. It's a Ranco LM5P8037 which is now obsolete. It's a 2A 30mv 110 degree stat with a coil inserted into a pocket on the flow outlet. Will any other Ranco limit stat with similar...
Replies
Views
Hi all,new to the forum and hoping to get some guidance through the boiler minefield . We moved into a 70s bungalow last Feb,its got a Greensted 241 junior mark 3. The expansion tank has failed, also it has a Boss therm sender unit wired to it but the previous owner didn't leave the receiver...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock