Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gillybean

Hi

We have a Ferroli Combi around 10 years old. Recently just 1 radiator downstairs (front room) has stopped working, although it gets tepid intermittently, so far we have tried:

Bleeding it, no air in there...

Taking off the (old) TVR - the pin seemed OK it was moving up and down but on replacing the TVR my husband let the pin fly out :eek:

Turning off all rads in the house to see if it was a blockage.

As you can see my husband isn't a diy'er and we just had a new cream carpet fitted 1 month ago so removing it with the risk of black sludge on it isn't an option....does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry to be a bit dumb, but what is the lockshield?

Trying to sort this out without the aid of a plumber, maybe you can advise how much a plumber would charge if we bought a new radiator ourselves from a merchant.....so it would be just for hanging and maybe moving the pipes a little as it's an old one and they're bound to not have that size now. I was charged £50 by my neighbour for doing just this in another room and the old rad was removed so all he had to do was hang and hook up, is this the going rate? Trying to keep outgoings down, Christmas and all.....

PS isn't it a case of just replacing the TRV without removing the rad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re Christmas, of course us plumbers can't afford Xmas and all that!!!:p[/QUOTE]

Yeah right that's why he goes on a cruise every year!

Try tuning all the other Rads off in the house and seeing if it gets warm

sounds like a knackered trv to me.....i would replace this before replacing the rad,put plenty of dust sheets down to protect your cream carpet....imho ive never understood why people have light coloured carpets....look nice but always cause more trouble than its worth! kiddies,dogs and cats and all that!!

sounds like a knackered trv to me.....i would replace this before replacing the rad,put plenty of dust sheets down to protect your cream carpet....imho ive never understood why people have light coloured carpets....look nice but always cause more trouble than its worth! kiddies,dogs and cats and all that!!

because cream carpets are stylish and are neutral, don't absorb the light.......also its new, that's the main reason....

because cream carpets are stylish and are neutral, don't absorb the light.......also its new, that's the main reason....

style over practicality always wins!!! lol i have a 16month old son and i'm thankful i have a dark coloured carpet...aswell as a dog with constant muddy paws!!! maybe one day i'll have a stylish carpet!!!

Sounds like the sludge in the rad has clogged up the sides of the rads. If you close down all the rads in the house on both sides with the heating on and leave open the blocked one it will concentrate all the movement on the one rad. This may move the crap. The other way would be to get the system power flushed. But its not cheap. About£450. And make sure inhibitor is replaced in the system to stop the build up of crap in the system. Or a plumber may take off the single rad and power flush it for less cash. Worth a shot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Radiator in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock