Search the forum,

Discuss A little help with sludge busting please? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We recently moved into an eight bed victorian B&B. Th previous owners had a very, very relaxed attitude to maintenance and improvement!
We have found two radiators that have leaked (perforated), suggesting inhibitor wasn't used for some period. On removing one on the ground floor, it was found to be very sludged up. There are two or three more radiators on the ground floor that are cool at the bottom so I'm proposing to remove them, flush them and refit.
There is a magnetic filter near the boiler that I want to clean out too.
I was hoping to avoid draining the system but thought adding some inhibitor to the tank would be a good idea.
So really, what's the correct sequence here, rads, then filter, then add inhibitor, then fill rads?
The system is fed by a plastic tank in the loft. I found this to be lukewarm last time I looked.

(PS, I've been a carpenter/builder for almost thirty years, but have very little experience in heating, so I have plenty of practical experience, just little knowledge)

The little tank will be warm as the water from the heating will expand into it especially if you have some blocked pipework. I would suggest, try venting some radiators and see if the small tank refills, if not you have a bigger problem with sludge. If it fills make sure the radiators you are taking off the valves close on both ends. Close valves, open air vent if water eventually stops the valves are off and you can drain and remove the single radiator and clean and flush. Refit before going onto the next that way you have only two joints to check at anyone time. Repeat for any radiators you want to clean. Depending on which magnetic filter you have will determine how easy it is to clean. Isolate, check vent, no water open and clean. Don't add the inhibitor to the tank it will sit in the bottom and solidify (slime, yuk). You could add it to the filter if you have a magna clean unit. Right in the heart of the system.

Reply to A little help with sludge busting please? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock