Search the forum,

Discuss A Few Questions Re. Radiators, Bathroom and Kitchen! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Birmingham

Hi all - new to this forum but have used and contributed to other forums for different reasons for years. So I know forums are usually great places to seek advice. Rather than post several different questions I thought I'd combine them here.

I'm moving into a new house and the trouble and strife has decided she wants a new bathroom suite and hob straight away. Even though both are fairly new and styles we like - apparently they won't be clean enough...:32:

Hob - easy one. Like for like replacement handed over to a GAS SAFE Registered Engineer. How much should I reasonably be looking to pay for this service?

Bathroom suite - what is the best way to ID a toilet and bath for example. To just get an exact replacement. Are the makers details usually marked in a common place?

Radiator - is it an straightforward job for the above engineer to put in a new rad in garage (so we can exercise in there in winter) - combi boiler is already located in there.

Washing machine - imagine an old style property with a coalhole and outside WC - is it an easy job to get the cold water feed from adjacent WC into coal hole?

Sorry for all the questions but its 23:00 and my mind is working overtime trying to plan and budget the move.

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Hob - Get three quotes and go for the middle one if he seems a decent chap, or get some local recommendations. Couldn't guess at a price without knowing where you are.
Bathroom suite - if you can't see a brand you'll be lucky to find an exact match, can't you just go for similar? Or are there tiling issues that mean you need the same footprint?
Radiator - yes (usually).
Washing machine - yes(usually).

Hi JC thanks for the quick reply - I'm in Birmingham!

I thought the same footprint in the bathroom would make things easier with tiling and flooring yes - and also offer me a good chance of DIY or make the job less time consuming for a plumber? if it's a straight swap.

Re. DIY I've fitted new taps and sinks in other houses before and am quite practical but to get the job done properly and quickly I might still get a plumber in for the bathroom.

Bathroom suite: by same footprint i assume you mean keeping the appliances in the same positions in the room. Only major trip up factor is normally the outlet from the toilet being a bit shorter/ longer / higher/ lower by a few mm/cm. Everything else is just cutting and replacing pipework to suit. i.e. Time & materials. No offence, but if she wants a new suite, the difficulty in fitting will not be high on her agenda!
W/Machine: Cold water in is a nice easy one for a competent DIY'er. Where is your waste water going afterwards. Dependant on age of machine may need a separate double check valve installed. Def need iso valve and good insualtion, coal houses get cold !
Andy

Why not just hire professional cleaners to do a deep steam clean, fraction of the price and less disruption, refitting the bathroom and replacing the cooker cause it may not be clean WOW !!!!

Why not just hire professional cleaners to do a deep steam clean, fraction of the price and less disruption, refitting the bathroom and replacing the cooker cause it may not be clean WOW !!!!

Hi Steve - that was my answer but apparently clean isnt clean enough!

I really don't mind she's not a typical extravagant woman that spends loads on clothes and handbags!

She just wants things nice for the family, and it was a rental property before. I've sourced similar looking kit for £300 and am actually looking forward to the challenge!

Thanks for all the advice so far. Maybe a deep clean initially would give me some slack in the schedule as the whole house also needs redecorating.

Good shout on the waste for the washing machine Andypumber - I hadn't thought of that. I'll see what setup we have in the garage on our current property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A Few Questions Re. Radiators, Bathroom and Kitchen! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock