Search the forum,

Discuss Undermounted sink, what bits and bobs needed ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi am going to cut a long story short, £250 for a plumber with 2 days of him trying to install a kitchen sink with no success he abandoned the job and left !

Would love to discuss the ups n downs, but got a family currently washing plates in the basin.

So I have decided to try it myself, am average with DIY but going to give it a bash.

I went out and got this sink :

[DLMURL="http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Space-Saving-Single-Bowl-Kitchen-Sink-Stainless-Steel/p/193094"]Wickes Space Saving Single Bowl Kitchen Sink Stainless Steel | Wickes.co.uk[/DLMURL]

Fits fine in work top, I can add the included tape or silicon and clips when I know It works.

I asked 4 members of staff @ 2 Wicks stores who had no idea what goes underneath. So I got a few things while there, which I figured may work. I have ended up with this so far:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/voqvyf.jpg

The wicks sink waste underbody grey part fits perfect with the nozzle trap pipe part(in pic above), this should in theory be fine one nozzle for washing machine(fits fine with o ring), the sink waste underbody has another nozzle for the sink waste(fits fine too). My question though is this a waste trap ? (wicks part is called appliance nozzle trap only) or do I need a bottle trap since my last one had a bottle one ?

Also the plumber broke the waste pipe going outwards to my garden and into the drain, so my other question is can I attach some waste pipe to the end of the nozzle trap pipe end? The plumber I believe may have installed a new one since he left long 40mm and 32mm pipes and some U bend pvc pipes. I also have a flexible waste pipe which says 32mm and 40mm supported but it does not appear to have screw joints but since its a tight fit maybe I have to glue this on ?

Would love to call a decent plumber but am £250 down due to the previous plumber and thats not including other bits and bobs so atm just thinking of giving it a go myself if possible, any help would be appreciated cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
best you can do is seek advice from trading standards or citizens advice to get your "plumber" back or your money back, 2 days to install a sink, more likely a handyman on his first attempt. bite the bullet, call in someone to get it done right, try on here in the i need a plumber, shouldnt cost more than £100!!! ps are you down £300 or £250, the amount differs at start and finish

the extra 50 quid was for a new sink, but otherwise was hoping to avoid going that route just now with trading standards since it will involve more time it also does not help with the immediate problem of no sink.

It does feel like I have 50% done already, just needed some input and help really. If the water leaks I can shut the cold/hot water valves off anyhow and wicks already said I can open the parts and return if not required they just need it in sell-able condition.

Last edited:
post a pic up of whats underneath

Nothing is underneath ;) But it looks like this currently:

http://i66.tinypic.com/29z6bgj.jpg

The worktop is bare with a hole in the middle but I can put in the under mounted wicks sink with this part :

http://oi68.tinypic.com/voqvyf.jpg

So am just wondering if I am heading in the right direction really ?

Do I need any trap or is that a trap already in the pic above(I think it is maybe a S or P trap), I suspect I need to add a waste pipe to end of the large exit to a hole in the wall leading to the drainage outside also (the 2 grey pipes coming from that hole are from the old sink which I can remove, I use have a solid white waste pipe before though going to outside external drain)

Last edited:
the appliance nozzle trap comes with a trap (p trap), you just need a basket/ 2 piece wast for the sink, should be another part that comes with the grey bit on the appliance nozzle trap

thanks, the basket and 2 piece waste I got already think its the grey waste pipe on left to attach to sink waste and basket I have to put on top I imagine with the long screw, obviously first sink install !

Pic is here:

http://i64.tinypic.com/r0w3cz.jpg

Hopefully looking ok ?

And thanks had a feeling it was a trap there, is a bottle trap better though or they all do same job?

yes thats is you should have all your bits bar pip through the wall and they do the same job

Is there a pipe through the wall

Is there a pipe through the wall

or hole through the wall? if so put the sink in place and put the waste on and take a pic of the p trap and hole together (temporary)

There is a hole in the kitchen cabinet under where the sink would normally be and hole in the wall also its leading close by to the drain outside, I will put the sink, waste, P trap and take a pic of all and even outside hole, tomorrow.

thanks much appreciated shaun and all, its getting there !

Why did you pay the guy in the first place ? did you pay him B4 the job was started ? Call him back, tell him you are getting someone to finish the job and sending him the bill, ok having a go yourself but sometimes it can cost you more than getting someone in.
Is this the second sink you have bought for this job ? what happened to the first one \/

Last edited:
Undo the nut just below the bend that you connect your pipe to and turn the r shape piece and 2x 90 degree elbows should get you outside if below

thanks Shaun for the advice, am just trying to give this a bash and see if I can save a bit of ££.

I am waiting for kitchen plaster to dry so that will take a few days anyhow before I can fully install this sink and try.

I do have some 90 degree bends but the connection would not join on flush its the same screw type side, I have lots of bits and bobs so going to give it a go see if I can use another trap or bottle trap and other piping to see if I can get it closer to the hole in wall. If push comes to shove ill call a plumber !

Shaun: Ok think I maybe understanding the end of the trap I take it is the exit to the drainage?

I put a 40mm push pipe on the end of the P waste which fit fine once I got the rubber seals in the right place, it almost feels like I have to cut the long 40mm push pipe and use those 90 degree bends to work it to the hole area so the pipe goes outside ?

I think what you have to take into account mate is that all under sink pipework is going to be different, the likelihood of you getting one to line up exactly with the old hole is Remote unless you are putting back in exactly the same sink in exactly the same position with exactly the same waste trap. There is a strong likelihood you will have to cut the waste pipe work to make it fit.

Yes you are right riley, oddly the new sink and if I use a bottle trap instead I can line it up so its similar to how it was in the past but yes I think I have to cut the waste pipe and modify it so it goes through the hole in the back.

I already have a 40mm pushfit pipe long tube, tons of 40mm compression bends and a few pushfit bends so I think in theory this is the waste bit that goes outside, just needs cutting.

It appears doable with the pushfit pipe and pushfit bends, but I may eat my words later on !

Push fit serves a purpose mate just make sure you chamfer the ends of the pipe when you cut it to avoid damaging the washers/o- rings in the fittings

Gotcha guess all it takes is one washer to break to leak, so far I have fiddled around here and there and come up with this:

http://i68.tinypic.com/10xbi10.jpg

Not sure if it looks good or not !

I think I just need one more 90 degree bend on top or perhaps an adjustable compression bend which I have, since it does feel maybe I have to get it at a slight bend I guess you can only do it fully once the worktop and sink is in the final position so will wait for plaster to dry, hopefully otherwise it looks doable I hope lol

perfect top banana, just dont forget the overflow from the sink before you test it :D

Will let you know how it goes once this darn plaster dries in few days time hopefully, thanks for all the advise Shaun, Riley and all:)

Just wanted to say thank you all especially Shauncorbs, got my sink up and running in the end.

The push fits and compression 90 degree an 135 degree bends and 40mm push pipe came into full use. Have taken several pictures of what goes underneath and outside so hopefully never have this issue again in my life time.

Had a leak on my water tap connector but then tightened it up to the end but not too much and it stopped and its been golden with no leaks for a week now, and it sure beats washing the dishes in the bath tub !

Respect and faith in plumbers restored somewhat !

thank you for keeping us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Undermounted sink, what bits and bobs needed ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
Attached is a ground floor picture of the soil pipe in our home. There was originally a toilet which has now been permanently capped off and you can also see a sink waste pipe attached. My plan is to drill out one of the 50mm sockets directly opposite the current sink waste for a new 40mm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some advice connecting my bowl sink to the waste. There was a Insinkerator installed that I have replaced with basket strainer waste (Viva PP0011). I need to connect the waste but I find myself going around in circles in regards to selecting the correct parts. Thanks FrankW
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello, I am plumbing in a double basin sink based on the first pic that I mined from a Reddit thread. (happy to accept suggestions on if this is correct as well) My waste pipe is 32mm and mounted in the floor. I will be mostly solvent welding However when I look at the top of the p-trap, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock