Search the forum,

Discuss Some people I tell you! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumben

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
So that job I asked you all about the price a week ago or so

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/plumbers-arms/90072-price-time.html

well She's just replied to my estimated price of £4,000 - £5,000 with
"This Quote seems completely ridiculous, why exactly is it so high"

some people expect everything for nothing and after having a cowboy builder in before and having to redo some of his other works already.

So I just replied with a longer version of theres risk involved and I pride myself on a quality job to high standards, Thanks for enquiring with us.

Now to wait for the reply

I get that on every job these days even taps at 40 quid hence kinda go back contracting!!

I just can't understand why someone after not having all the work on there job finished and having to take them to court due to a cowboy would want a cheap job doing to finish it off

I just can't understand why someone after not having all the work on there job finished and having to take them to court due to a cowboy would want a cheap job doing to finish it off

I don't get customers at all i am getting more and more calls wanting cheap work to the point of just as well go contracting earn more. Still keep some base work going on tho however becoming more and more fed up with it all.

I don't get customers at all i am getting more and more calls wanting cheap work to the point of just as well go contracting earn more. Still keep some base work going on tho however becoming more and more fed up with it all.

Some of the jobs that people want doing for nothing, you'd be better off stacking shelves, you'd earn more money

Some of the jobs that people want doing for nothing, you'd be better off stacking shelves, you'd earn more money

less stress also :D

go get gas qualified and start servicing boilers, regular customers each or every 3 years :)

After 2 plumbers including myself have given a price to a very well off couple....

What response would you give to a builder that's normally happy as larry with the work you do, who suddenly out of knowhere becomes abit irrate in the pub one night as he cant understand why plumbers rip people off.
Irrate because the customer is trying to get a plumber and is struggling to find one that's a 'fair price', which is in turn making his life a little harder and he's annoyed about this

Builder - 'why do I work for £20ph and plumbers are charging £30ph' 'Im happy with getting a fair wage and not ripping people off so why cant you be?'

To be fair he'd had afew drinks so it didnt matter what I said to him, he wasn't buying any of it.

Mind you, he had just taken delivery of a brand new Transit afew hours before from his new floozeys house sale - obviously doesn't need the money

Last edited:
Oh he's told me that afew times - keeps his rate low and makes it up on materials
He was a cook afew years ago so was probably on half what he's on now. Done well for himself. He gets the work by a) having his tongue up the customers arse. Good on him....
b) he does abit of everything
Not a real builder, he'll do removals, gardening, mostly painting, he employs a plasterer/joiner, gets me In to do the plumbing

If the builder says he charges £20 per hour, but adds onto the materials, then he can't really claim to be just earning that. I would have told him I could do any plumbing that involves a lot of materials for £20 per hour, but I supply the materials.
I had a builder tell me that he went to employ a painter but refused to get him because he charged £120 a day.

A mate of mine is a top notch painter & decorator been doing it for 25yrs, works for a company doing insurance work and he`s on £120 a day @8hrs a day.

Oh he's told me that afew times - keeps his rate low and makes it up on materials
He was a cook afew years ago so was probably on half what he's on now. Done well for himself. He gets the work by a) having his tongue up the customers arse. Good on him....
b) he does abit of everything
Not a real builder, he'll do removals, gardening, mostly painting, he employs a plasterer/joiner, gets me In to do the plumbing

I've just started doing the plumbing for a guy who does all sorts, mainly loft conversions but dose none of the actual work himself just runs the jobs and dose odd bits and collects gear

He was ****ed althoughI doubt he'll mention what a dick he was when I next meet him
Amongst a load of other drivel, when I asked him (genuinely) why he doesn't do his own plumbing because him and the bloke who works for him are more than capable, he told me, 'yeah but we haven't been to college'
Give me strength
Top tip, don't go drinking with any builders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Some people I tell you! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock