Search the forum,

Discuss Sludge in oil lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all.

I've taken on a contract to look after a local college and they have a number of oil fired appliances, boilers and Andrews water heaters.

We've had issues on one of the dorms. First the boiler pump and motor seized up. We replaced them and serviced the appliance - new nozzle, electrodes, etc, and it's working.

The run from the tank is a 15mm feed, which splits to two 10mm feeds, fire valves, two tiger loops and then into boiler room. Which has boiler and Andrews which is about 120KW for Andrews and about 70KW for the boiler.

Anyway, shortly after we fixed the boiler, the Andrews packed up. Again pump knackered. So we repaired, serviced that too and fitted a filter - the isn't one on the line.

I then checked the filter in the boiler pump and found the photos I will post below this.

So we have a really bad sludge problem. So bad - that the feed to the room isn't working. I think it may be the gate valve on the 15mm feed is blocked but I didn't have the time to break it apart to check it.

Sorry to rant on, but any comments on the sludge issues would be useful.

The tank is 18,000 litre. I've asked if they ran in dry. My guess is most likely. I guess there is no easy solution to this, other than renew filters, and fit new ones where they don't have them. Then to blow out all lines, and check them with a vac' gauge.

Thanks

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Assume you fitted a paper element filter at oil tank? They really do stop the crud getting through but will block quick. Would have to be a big one though & I have no idea what size.
All I would suggest is you do blow out & flush all the oil lines & also fit other paper element filters at each appliance. Going to need lots of maintainence & replacement filters later.
I would suggest the oil tank needs cleaned out also.

suck the gunk out of the lowest part of the tank first, flush and filters. Not sure but could that also be the old bio sludge that means you need to treat the tank contents to stop it growing more.

I'd suggest a strainer at the tank and paper filters at the appliances.

Get the tank desludged and, while it's empty, fit a duplex strainer.

[DLMURL="http://www.spx.com/en/plenty/pd-mp-small-duplex-d-type-basket-strainer/"]Small Duplex D-Type Basket Strainer 1"-8" | Plenty | Product Detail[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sludge in oil lines in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock