Search the forum,

Discuss Sewage smell in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice.
We have been having problems with a sewage smell in our bathrooms (shower room upstairs and bathroom downstairs - share the same waste pipe). This happens particularly after our house has been cleaned, but we can't work out specifically what the cleaners are doing that sets it off. We think we have eliminated the products they are using as possible culprits.
I have used drain unblocker (hypochlorite/sodium hydroxide) to try to shift any accumulated gunk in the pipes without any improvement. The shower traps are clear.
The bathrooms were renovated over the last few years and I am wondering if we should have a vent on our waste pipe and whether this could be a cause. I am wondering how easy it would be to fit this myself? The pic shows the current waste pipe, looking at older photos of the house this used to have a stack on it.
Please let me know if you need further information.

IMG_20180421_090354.jpg

Hi, and thanks in advance for any advice.
We have been having problems with a sewage smell in our bathrooms (shower room upstairs and bathroom downstairs - share the same waste pipe). This happens particularly after our house has been cleaned, but we can't work out specifically what the cleaners are doing that sets it off. We think we have eliminated the products they are using as possible culprits.
I have used drain unblocker (hypochlorite/sodium hydroxide) to try to shift any accumulated gunk in the pipes without any improvement. The shower traps are clear.
The bathrooms were renovated over the last few years and I am wondering if we should have a vent on our waste pipe and whether this could be a cause. I am wondering how easy it would be to fit this myself? The pic shows the current waste pipe, looking at older photos of the house this used to have a stack on it.
Please let me know if you need further information.

View attachment 34693

Looks like you have no vent. So will draw the water out of the traps.

Can get one - it has a little cup inside which is clear and then if you take that out it's the entry into the drain, which is also clear. I should add that the water drains freely, there doesn't seem to be a blockage
Might be missing a part, so a pic would be good

Reply to Sewage smell in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock