Search the forum,

Discuss Regs for Boilers in cupboards in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse and has been working without issue until now. The pilot light went out and now wont relight. It lights but as soon as you release the button it goes out.

The thermocouple is about 20 years old so I suspect that's the issue - but appreciate very well it might not be and it may be a new boiler situation as most parts are obsolete.

I've just had someone round and they wont even look at it because they say the ventilation in the cupboard doesn't meet current regs so they cant work on it.

There is a floor vent directly in front of the boiler and its clear air is coming through - which he admitted. I asked if the ventilation would still be a problem if I had a new boiler and was told I couldn't have a floor standing boiler in that cupboard anymore and it would need to be a new combi boiler located elsewhere.?

Ideally I'd like to get the the thermocouple checked and replaced if thats the only issue - but in any event I don't want a combi coiler - I want a heat only boiler .

So I just need to understand if what I've been told is correct. Is it impossible to be repaired (if it can) because of the current ventilation regs (so are they retrospective) . And is it possible to have a floor standing heat only boiler in a cupboard?

I would get another engineer to be honest would have to see the floor vent but it’s acceptable to use floor level ventilation providing the terms are met etc

Reply to Regs for Boilers in cupboards in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock