Search the forum,

Discuss People do funny things in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Neighbour came over to me asking did I have a new junior hacksaw blade.
No problem, I give him a saw blade. He then said it was for his faulty all metal toilet syphon (over 60 years old) and he is going to try and repair it. I asked him if he was sure and he said he was going to try it.
Shortly he walked over to me with part of the syphon he had sawed off :smile: image.jpg

Nice one!
A mate of mine once cut down a plastic ball valve float to get it in a wc cistern. Then wondered why it wouldn't stop filling!

Nice one!
A mate of mine once cut down a plastic ball valve float to get it in a wc cistern. Then wondered why it wouldn't stop filling!

Ha, that put a much needed smile on my face

Neighbour came over to me asking did I have a new junior hacksaw blade.
No problem, I give him a saw blade. He then said it was for his faulty all metal toilet syphon (over 60 years old) and he is going to try and repair it. I asked him if he was sure and he said he was going to try it.
Shortly he walked over to me with part of the syphon he had sawed off :smile:View attachment 26679

Did he explain his thinking behind this alteration? I'd enjoy hearing it.

Did he explain his thinking behind this alteration? I'd enjoy hearing it.

Yes, he gave me a sort of answer to what he was attempting.
He is a bit of an engineer type, - smart in many ways and daft in many ways. :smile:
What he was doing was removing it so to take the shaft out and use filler on the body, that had worn a hole in it where shaft comes through, due to 60+ years of wear and tear. (Filler can't be seen on photo)
But instead of having entire syphon removed by slackening the nut holding the syphon below the low level cistern, - he turned it into a 2 part syphon by cutting it with a hacksaw.
I just had to slacken the nuts and remove the remaining bit and replaced it all with a modern basic syphon.

Last edited:
Love the fact that 60 yrs on it developed a hole in the body before the mechanism failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to People do funny things in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock