Discuss Mould in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Evening chaps. I am looking after a flat for some friends and recently with the new tenants there has been huge mould issues on all external walls in bedrooms and bathroom. So am wondering if you guys have had any experience with it and have come up with a solution. I know with the tenants, they are keeping all windows closed constantly and so ventilation is non existent. I keep asking them 2 open the windows but as it is a ground floor flat, they say it is unsafe. Also, they say it is pointless as you lose the heat. Now this was happening really badly in the bathroom until i got a vent axia installed. Below are pictures from the job

2014-01-08 12.36.04.jpg2014-01-08 12.31.10.jpg2014-01-08 12.38.43.jpg

I guess those heat recovery fan things are not cheap?

Condensation caused by poor ventilation. Ventilation is the key. Had a cupboard upstairs do exactly the same.

Tenants seem to create mould. Most of them are drying clothes on the cheap by putting wet clothes on or near rads & not opening windows. Some foreigners are not used to British climate & just cook & dry clothes without any vents opened.
I notice the window in the photograph has trickle vent on it, but obviously not helping much.

yep that's what I keep telling the my mate. he is after a solution though. You're correct, trickle vents not doing a thing. i asked the tenants to get some of that mildew cleaner stuff and if mould does start popping up, spray it asap. They don't believe they should have to!

Blimey, apart from being unsightly that's rather unhealthy too. The mould needs to be scrubbed off cleaned off etc as it will encourage more mould to grow. Theres lots of products available. Yes as said condensation will help no end but the mould is growing down to the surface temperature of the wall being at condensation dew point, so potentially more heat is required. As best says if they are drying towels in there its going to get worse, I hope there isnt young kids in there or they are going to need a season ticket down the health center

I had similar job in a flat I refurbed for guy in Twickenham, mould all over the wall, solid oak floor rose up 4" of the floor with all the moisture ,I fitted high level and low level 5" vents with baffles in every room problem solved

get decent tenants who use the heating and open the windows, its the only way to keep mould at bay.

I have thought about this. Am just wondering if I will be allowed to drill holes to outside or not. I guess the boiler flue is like that so why not

If you drill holes & fit vents the tenants will more than likely block the vents with pieces of cardboard or newspaper & tape, - especially lower vents where they feel a draft!

Ventilation is the only way forward. I like Mikes suggestion of Ventilated heat recovery system, but can not see any landlord dipping in deep to the pocket to delivery it.

Was thinking of putting a heat recovery ventilator in our main bathroom. Think there about ÂŁ400, so depends if the landlord wants to fork out

mutley you need to get him to fit a envirovent there, the unit goes in the attic, maby you havent got one in a flat tho? its on 24/7 and uses verry little electric, you push a button on it and it says how many hours its been running for since istalled, so you know if they have been switching it off, if they take you to court fo this and refuse to pay rent then this will win you case. also with the mould on the externall walls i have seen cavity filled walls seeping water in from leaking roofs, broken plaster ect, this insulation will not dry out and will cause this, it will all have to be taken out if this the case. but it could be down to poor ventalation, out of interest are there any flats underneath or above it? i do damp work for the company i work for, they sent me thru some courses on it, i work on social housing so always get tehse problems!!!

mutley you need to get him to fit a envirovent there, the unit goes in the attic, maby you havent got one in a flat tho? its on 24/7 and uses verry little electric, you push a button on it and it says how many hours its been running for since istalled, so you know if they have been switching it off, if they take you to court fo this and refuse to pay rent then this will win you case. also with the mould on the externall walls i have seen cavity filled walls seeping water in from leaking roofs, broken plaster ect, this insulation will not dry out and will cause this, it will all have to be taken out if this the case. but it could be down to poor ventalation, out of interest are there any flats underneath or above it? i do damp work for the company i work for, they sent me thru some courses on it, i work on social housing so always get tehse problems!!!

Thanks for the info feller. It is actually a block of flats so had a flat above it but not below. Environment a, I shall have to look into one of those. It is definitely due to bad ventilation though as they never had this issue before with other tenants as they aired the place and cleaned every now and then. These people are not

the guy that gave me the course told me this (bit racist , but there we go) , "foreing people are always cooking, boiling rice, currys ect ect, british people stick something in a microwave or oven" boiling food creates condesation, foreing peoples homes seem to get more condensation issues! apparantley anayway!

More of an indication as to how lazy a lot of brits are compared to other races and cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Mould in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone. I am solo tenant living in a flat. The bathroom is a horror show. Black mould on tiles. Water has previously come in from the flat above, requiring the ceiling to be replastrered. The fixtures and fittings are very old. But I have made do. The toilet is starting to worry...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock