Search the forum,

Discuss likely heat output for 2 old radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

What is the heat output likely to be for these two old double radiators, neither have convection fins:
A) 1840x300mm
B) 710x600mm

A bit of background...

I am currently sourcing rads for my 1970s built ex council flat. I've got BTU calculations to give me an idea what output to go for in each room. Of course I want to be able to get more output that I need in each room but I dont want to go over the top. My lounge presents a bit of a problem.

In the lounge I have one long, not very high radiator under the windows (1840x300 mm) next to where i usually sit and a smaller one at the other end. Both are basic double radiators installed in the early 80s or late 70s with no heat fins to increase heating area and effectiveness.

I'd like to swap the one under the window for a smaller one if possible as it looks big for the space and while I know I can do this and achieve my target BTU, I'd like an idea of the output in the current radiator so I dont make it feel any colder for me when I'm sat in my armchair next to it. As the room isnt huge I dont want the rads taking up more space than I need.

So how do I do this?
Are any non heat finned double radiators available anymore?
I know what the BTU output is of similar sized radiators are today but they have heat fins - is there a standard % I could assume is the improvement since fins became the technology?

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

B

If you know the btu/h required to heat the room then buy your new radiators based on that requirement. The size of your existing rads is basically irrelevant. If your concerned about the room been cooler I would buy radiators that are one or two sizes bigger than what your calculation require. you should be fitting a trv anyway so you will be able to regulate the temperature of your room even if the rads are oversized.

Thanks for your reply @Craig Watson .

I appreciate the usual advice is to go over the recommendation and turn things down if it gets hot. I got BTU recommendation ages ago last year for between 4700 and 5700 for the room.

It's a small flat though and I don't want to put in huge radiators if I don't need to as they will seriously affect choice and placement of furniture and decoration once I'm ready. I'll be spending a lot of money on designer radiators and want to get a bit more data to help me make a more informed choice.

Any further suggestions?

Would others say this formula is accurate?

If it is, the two radiators would have 1160W and 750W outputs @ a Delta T of 50 (I'm guessing the 'factor' for a double panel without fins is around 0.15 as the formula below gives no such factor). Does that sound halfway reasonable?

Radiator output formula (from diyfaq.org.uk)
From the specifications of Myson's standard (seam-top) and compact radiators, Barlo round-top and Kudox compact rads, it is possible to derive a formula to calculate the heat output of any given sized-radiator of these types. This formula should be applicable to other manufacturers' radiators of similar types.

Heat Output = (Height + 12) * Length * FACTOR
(Watts) (cm) (cm)

or

Heat Output = (Height + 120) * Length * FACTOR / 100
(Watts) (mm) (mm)

where FACTOR is (for Delta-T 50°C)

• 0.09 for SP single panel (no convector fins)
  • 0.13 for SC single convector
  • 0.19 for DX double: 1 panel with convectors + 1 without
  • 0.24 for DC double convector
In other words:

• add 12cm to height (in cm) of radiator
  • multiply by length (width) of rad
  • multiply by FACTOR above

Reply to likely heat output for 2 old radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock