Search the forum,

Discuss Getting back into the swing of things. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BackToPlumb

Hey Folks,

I'm returning to my first love of Plumbing and Heating after switching career a while back. I started Plumbing when I left school and completed an apprenticeship ultimately finishing with 7 years in the trade before switching to a completely different industry.

Why ?!?! ... because of other Plumbers I'm afraid to say. At the age of 21 I was already running large jobs and having to tell experienced Plumbers they were doing things wrong wasn't the most pleasurable of experiences, indeed in those days (early to late 90's) it wasn't uncommon for things to escalate into threats of violence and sometimes worse. It was the death threat by an incompetent 40+ year old plumber that eventually forced me out the trade.

Anyway I've always said to myself that I'd come back to Plumbing because it's still the most satisfying and enjoyable trade I have worked in and having been made redundant recently now is the time.

I'm actually already back in the swing of things having formed a company, built a website, finished a few jobs, joined a business network group etc etc whilst on gardening leave but now that is coming to and end I'm looking to accelerating things further as the Plumbing becomes my main source of income i.e getting proper sign-written transport, branded clothing, public liability etc etc all of which should be complete in the next couple of weeks.

The point of my post is that much has changed since I first took it up with regard to qualifications and regulations and I need to catch up on these. I'm not so much as looking for a fast track way of doing things more a case of not having to sit through hours of things I'm already more than competent at even though I have no formal qualifications to prove it apart from a previous 7 years in the industry.

My first priority is of course to get Gas Safe registered. It's been many years since I was CORGI registered so I'm unable to take that route so my question here is whether I can work alongside a currently Gas Safe registered engineer who can then commission my installs in order to work towards getting the necessary portfolio to be able to sit the exam and get registered?

I'm also keen to get the Un-vented Hot Water G3 qualification but most centers seem to want to see those pre-entry qualifications as a pre-requisite. Can anybody advise on this?

I'm already getting many inquiries and quotes sent out for work that requires these and at present I'm having to price in for somebody with the certificates to do the work for me (actually my mentor from my apprenticeship so I'm happy to give him the work) but obviously I don't want to have to rely on that for too long.

What are the "must haves" these days and what are the "not worth the hassles"? I'm getting advice from all over but thought I might as well ask here as well and get involved with the forum.

welcome to the forum and welcome back to the trade.

i can def agree with you about the way the trade was back then, things have changed in the main but you will still get the odd subby wanting to break somebodys legs or gaffa rob you blind.

im sure kirkgas and other members can give you plenty of advise on the training routes you can take. Stick around the forum and you will learn alot aswell as be able to share your experiences.

You say it's a long time since you were CORGI registered, if you can prove you were CORGI registered you are a CAT 1 and can sit ACS reassessment, I would suggest you get some training first but you don't need a full course, it would be ideal to work alongside an engineer to get back up to speed, unvented is straight forward, phone a training provider with your credit card in your other hand, sorted

Blood in......Blood out.

The 'Prodigal Son' clause allows for the return of ex-plumbers, who, under the threat of their lives, were forced to leave the trade.

Welcome back and all the best.

Oz-Plumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting back into the swing of things. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock