Search the forum,

Discuss Aztec Easyfit 12kW Boiler running costs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CRob1974

Good afternoon, we have just had an Aztec Easyfit 12kw installed and I'm a bit worried about running costs. I have calculated costs using an online calculator but this doesn't take into consideration the boiler will switch on and off when at full heat.

The tariff I am on is economy 7 at 7p per kwh and standard is 12p per kwh. We estate the radiators to be on roughly 16 hours per day during the winter months.

I have been told to fire the boiler up to the max during economy 7 time and would really appreciate any help you can give to keep costs down or maybe a rough estimate of costs.

Thank you for any help in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
if your heating is on full for your stated hours it will cost a calculated £13.44 per day.
If you don't have gas have you considered a heat pump

Expensive springs to mind.

This was the sort of question to have asked prior to install

Hi, thanks for the reply... £13.44 a day = £403.02 a month, beginning to get more worried. We don't have gas here. I haven't heard of a heat pump, how does it work and does it fit to on the current system ?

Simply explained a heat pump is an electricity driven system which when installed correctly can give an efficient heating system comparable to natural gas

You are welcome. There are many different heat pumps available just like boilers.
Your installer is the the main difference just like boilers

lpg or oil i would go with lpg myself

I have just read that although the boiler says it is a 12kw it can be set to a 6 or 9kw. Is this true ? My wife seems to remember the plumber saying it was a 9kw but it says 12kw on the side.

A heat pump system is more costly to install but cheaper to run
A gas or oil boiler is cheaper to install but more costly to run

How well insulated is your loft? Building regs recommend a minimum depth of 270mm which would go a long way to improving the energy efficiency of your home. You could possibly still get this done free through the energy company obligation/affordable warmth schemes if they are still running.

How well insulated is your loft? Building regs recommend a minimum depth of 270mm which would go a long way to improving the energy efficiency of your home. You could possibly still get this done free through the energy company obligation/affordable warmth schemes if they are still running.

Loft is well insulated,not a problem.

If your house is up to modern standards with regards to insulation, double glazing etc then the boiler shouldn't be cycling on and off that much to maintain temperature.

Just looked at meter... was at 0.1.2.0.5 at 10:08am and 0.1.2.2.1 at 16:08pm. Based on 0.12p per unit / 16 hours a day. Does anyone know how I can calculate a monthly cost from this info?

looks like you've used 16 units in 6 hours so 2.66 units an hour.

2.66 units x 16 hours=42.6 units

42.6 units x 12pence=£5.11

£5.11 x 28days= £143 a month/£35.75 a week

The above is obviously worked out using the electric you've consumed in that 6 hour period which wont just be the boiler.

looks like you've used 16 units in 6 hours so 2.66 units an hour.

2.66 units x 16 hours=42.6 units

42.6 units x 12pence=£5.11

£5.11 x 28days= £143 a month/£35.75 a week

The above is obviously worked out using the electric you've consumed in that 6 hour period which wont just be the boiler.

Well that doesn't sound too bad, I'm very confused. Its been on for two days constant at room temp 19. I shall check meter again tomorrow at 24hrs. Will phone electric company tomorrow and enquire about economy 10.

Well that doesn't sound too bad, I'm very confused. Its been on for two days constant at room temp 19. I shall check meter again tomorrow at 24hrs. Will phone electric company tomorrow and enquire about economy 10.

I bet you could reduce that further if you knocked the thermostat down 1 degree, swapped to economy 10, installed an energy monitor and ensure your room thermostat has a neutral connected so you don't get a wide variance between temp (if its a non digital type).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Owl-Cm119-...d=1479661345&sr=8-2&keywords=owl+energy+meter

I like this energy monitor as it gives you it in £££.

Just bear in mind reducing the kw will lead to less capability to heat the water in the same time frame leading to wasted use as not performing to the same level you are currently used to.
If this is your long term look in to solar panels and tesla battery stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Aztec Easyfit 12kW Boiler running costs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock