Search the forum,

Discuss Time to replace Ideal HE24? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 6 or 7 year old Ideal HE24 which is giving problems, currently ignition failure LF. It has never been very reliable with LF being common, replaced PCBs, leaking air vents etc. I also suspect it is not very efficient - I don't recall my gas usage dropping when it replaced the previous non condensing boiler.

Getting anyone local to work on it is difficult, I've been warned of BG and even Ideal don't seem to do their fixed price repairs anymore - not surprising given what they replaced last time I called them.

So should I replace the HE24, even though it's not a great age? If so with what? I'm looking for reliability and efficiency plus a good availability of local support.

Any recommendations? It's a straight boiler replacement - the rest of the system is OK and when working the Ideal produces enough heat.

Whereabouts are you mate? Some of our lads could be local and you'll always get better advice from someone standing in front of the boiler.

Who have you had repair it previously?

You mention you've had difficulty with anyone local to look at it! What do you mean by this? Have they refused to look at it for some reason?

Who have you had repair it previously?

You mention you've had difficulty with anyone local to look at it! What do you mean by this? Have they refused to look at it for some reason?

The guy who installed it doesn't deal with Ideal anymore and said he has problems getting parts - I think what he meant was that unless he carries a van load of parts it's difficult to handle a repair quickly. Several other local people just said they don't deal with Ideal. A couple didn't reply to messages - which to be fair may have been pressure of work rather than any specific Ideal issue. Some are clearly just interested in new installations and not repairs.

Several said contact Ideal directly which is what I have previously done and they were pretty efficient. But they no longer advertise their fixed price repair. I've tried to get through to them today but lines clogged - will try again.

It seems to be easy to get local people who deal with Worcester, Vaillant and so on so what I'm really asking is given the same problems keep recurring with the Ideal should I cut my losses and change?

I should add that due to the size and layout of the house I have 2 HE24s and they have both been trouble ( though fortunately the other is currently holding up ).

Before we go further, for our own protection I am unable to give you any specific diagnosis or gas related advice with regards to repairing the boiler as this is dangerous & a non gas safe registered person working on the boiler would be doing so illegally. I know in this case that you are not asking for repair advice I am simply protecting both of us should anyone else have a similar problem & come upon this thread whilst searching for similar advice!

Right, now the boring stuff is out of the way, it does seem strange to me that the problems you have had with the boilers have occurred since you mention they are only 6/7 years old. (Others may disagree on this who have a different opinion on Ideals)

If as you say, you are having various problems with the boiler(s) then maybe it is better to change to one boiler that is capable of supplying what you require for your system!

Again, others may disagree with the above view. But as I see it you could potentially spend more & more money on repairing them whereas that money could be put towards a new installation!

The building is listed and is laid out in two distinct blocks, originally two homes which I combined. One has radiators, the other has underfloor heating and they tend to be used at different times of day. For these reasons I was advised to keep them separate - flexibility and resilience. Given the reliability issues I have appreciated the resilience.

The other boiler is about 9 years old and has been slightly less troublesome. Only one period when both were out of order at the same time!

I'll get someone in to reassess whether combining on one bigger boiler would be feasible and whether it would reduce gas consumption. I assume the timing and control issues could be overcome. What does worry me is accepting someone's recommendation for "brand X" boiler given that I was previously recommended Ideal, which I now see has a terrible reputation. Hence my asking the question here to try to get a broader view.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Not a problem, happy to help.

Unfortunately, as with most things installers have their preferences for brand of boiler. Some will argue others are better than the rest etc etc.

Yes, the timing issue is something that can be controlled & this problem certainly overcome.

I hope that you manage to resolve this issue.

Could I also advise you to get at least 3 quotes & do your research on the company's! Ask neighbours, friends & get recommendations. Don't just necessarily go for the cheapest or quickest etc. You have a different setup to most so you need someone that really knows there stuff & will provide you with what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Time to replace Ideal HE24? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, As per the thread title, I have an Ideal Logic Combi 30 and I am having a problem with the pump, which keeps activating without any DHW/DCH. When the pump activates, it runs for exactly 4 minutes each time and this can happen as frequently as something like 5 times an hour or as...
Replies
Views
In our Village Hall we have a Ideal Concord CXS/SD40/H central heating boiler. This was installed new when we had an extension built and the existing boiler needed upgrading. The Mechanical Engineers advising the architect insisted that we had a conventional cast iron combustion chamber boiler...
Replies
Views
W
Hi all, I've got a bit of a strange issue relating to my Ideal Logic Combi 35 which has recently started displaying a F2 error when trying to use the central heating system. The boiler works fine when using hot water, however when I try to turn on the central heating system the boiler works...
Replies
Views
Williams25
W
N
Hi All I know I know ... another HE24 LF code problem. Fix is replace boiler ;-) My problem is slightly different to other posts I've been reading in that the boiler works fine for 95% of the time. It will often go a few days then we get the LF code. We hit reset and it always always...
Replies
Views
Mikesin
M
I have this boiler to heat and provide hot water for my home. I have had a total of three of these boilers. The first two were recalled by Viessman and replaced. The problems with the recalled boilers was I had to keep replacing ionization and ignition electrodes. There was also some risk of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock