• Welcome to PlumbersLive.com - Please register for free, or login if you have an account here already. We have relaunched the forum with new forum software and a nice new feel to it. Find common questions related to Boilers, Central Heating, Gas Engineering, Water Plumbing, Bathroom and Kitchen Remodeling - all in our forums.

Sense Check - Water Pressure so low mixer shower no longer works but electric shower will?

I have a tenanted property which has a standard boiler and hot water tank. Since it was built in the 1990's the bathroom has had a mixer shower fed from the bath taps for a shower into the bath. Recently the tenant has explained that the shower is too hot.

The managing agent plumber has told me that the water pressure for the mixer tap is too low, and as such he's recommending fitting a new cold water pipe to a new electric shower to address the problem (replacing the current mixer tap/shower solution, with a new electric shower).

The tenants have only just complained, the shower is too hot, having happily used it for many years.

-Is this a common problem?
  • I'm wondering how low cold water pressure has to be that a mixer shower cannot run at a non-scalding temperate?
  • Should I be complaining to the water board about water pressure.
  • Can you recommend any questions I ask the plumber?
  • Could this actually just be a broken mixer tap?

As the proposed work for the electric shower is over £900 and a new mixer tap with shower would be ~£200 I want to make sure that I do appropriate due diligence.

I do plan to visit the property with the plumber and see how low the water pressure is. Appreciate guidance from an expert here.

I'm based in South Leicestershire.

Cheers,

Robin

I have spoken to the managing agent plumber, and he explained the following
  • The water pressure for hot and cold water feeds is not actually low, in fact cold water pressure is high and hot water has a pump so is also high.
  • Mixer taps/showers don't typically deal with high pressures well, and often cold or hot dominate and it is hard to get a warm temperature.
  • The property has a "traditional" boiler with hot water tank, and not a combi boiler, and in general mixer taps work better with combi boilers.

He is basically saying that a mixer tap/shower was the wrong solution for the property over the long term.

Hopefully this gives more context to the situation, and based on the conversation I'm more comfortable with the proposed approach. :)