Search the forum,

Discuss Replacing Drayton 3/4 wire thermostat. New BG one does not work in existing system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Folks.
I am trying to replace a damaged 4 wire (L/N/E & Switched L) Drayton Invensys RTS1 Electronic Thermostat with a replacement BG WS4 Electronic version.
As can be seen from the attached pictures, both have identical wiring diagrams, however the WS4 will not work in situ. If I connect the WS4 to a separate mains circuit (3 pin plug) and use a light bulb as a load across N and CH On, it works fine, and the relay?? can be heard switching the bulb on and off, so I am happy that it works ok. Wire it up as replacement and nothing at all. no relay?? click, jilch. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what can be the problem. The damaged thermostat, however is working but, as can be seen, has damage caused by the owner using a heat gun too close to it!

Can you help?

Attachments

• IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8154.JPG
    IMG_8154.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8155.JPG
    IMG_8155.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 9
Any chance of a pic of the new thermostat?

And did you change the existing backplate for the one that came with the bg one ?

Also a pic of the existing connection/ wires

Yes, changing the complete unit. The base is burnt due to the close proximity of a heat gun, as stated.

Pics 8153 & 4 are of the old unit. 8155 is the rear of the new unit.

Yes, changing the complete unit. The base is burnt due to the close proximity of a heat gun, as stated.

Have you got a volt/ multi meter ?

Yes. That was my next step, but as both devices are mains powered and switched and the connection circuit appears to be identical, I havent checked voltages as yet.

Check if you have voltage on 1 if you do

Join 1 and 3 / use a link wire should fire the boiler up if not fault else where

Prob tripped a fuse

Check if you have voltage on 1 if you do

Join 1 and 3 / use a link wire should fire the boiler up if not fault else where

Prob tripped a fuse
I hear what you are saying, however why does the old one still work if put back ( I have had to refit it as the new one doesnt work). If there was no power on 1 then the old one wouldnt work. Same as if fuse blown.

All I am doing is isolating power, changing complete unit and reapplying power. Tiz baffling....

I hear what you are saying, however why does the old one still work if put back ( I have had to refit it as the new one doesnt work. If there was no power on 1 then the old one wouldnt work. same as if fuse blown.

All I am doing is isolating power, changing complete unit and reapplying power. Tiz baffling..

If the old one still works there’s either a fault with the new one or a problem with the install

Pins making full contact with the backplate ?

If the old one still works there’s either a fault with the new one or a problem with the install

Pins making full contact with the backplate ?
not sure how to check pins in situ.
To summarise:-
Old unit works when fitted on wall, but is damaged.
New unit works under test conditions. ie not mounted on wall.
New one doesnt work when fitted to wall.
Old one still works when refitted to wall.

That sounds like a problem with the install, however it should be identical mains power in both cases.

With the old one connected, are you able to turn it off? Only reading the Drayton one, it says the call will remain open I feel not 230vac, so as per @ShaunCorbs, you may need to test voltage?

Reply to Replacing Drayton 3/4 wire thermostat. New BG one does not work in existing system. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock